New Old Guy

paulrsmith
paulrsmith
10/18/2022 9:42 pm

Hello all.

I am a new learner and have tried to play guitar before but never really got past the noodling stage as I set the bar too high for myself. (thought I could teach myself SRV's Little Wing)

Anyway I am having fun with the Blues course and learning a LOT. Anders is a really good player and sure knows his stuff.

So going through the lessons one thing that was enlightening was Christopher's lesson where he shows you how to hold a guitar properly with a strap. Thank should be a mandatory first lesson for everyone. Sure took away my back and wrist pain.

I have a 50's Squire Strat and the Fender Mustang LT25 and am having a blast learning and am going slow.

Want to do the Blues and Rock course and not sure if I should do LVL1 with both before going to LVL2.

I am older and love Classic Rock and Blues and also Jazz.

Paul

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
10/19/2022 1:47 am

Hello Paul. šŸ˜€

"Want to do the Blues and Rock course and not sure if I should do LVL1 with both before going to LVL2".

Mixed messages in your post, so not clear what level of personal playing competency you're at. But re your question above, If I were new to this curriculum I would if it was me and I hadn't covered the material before or wasn't sure if I had. If it turns out you already know what's covered in L1 so it's essentially revision for you, you'll breeze through it in no time, but leave no gaps in what's required to progress through L2. The approach I would take is pick one, either Blues or Rock and do L1 followed by L2 before progressing to the other. 

Welcome. 

# 2
paulrsmith
paulrsmith
10/19/2022 9:29 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: manXcat

Hello Paul. šŸ˜€

"Want to do the Blues and Rock course and not sure if I should do LVL1 with both before going to LVL2".

Mixed messages in your post, so not clear what level of personal playing competency you're at. But re your question above, If I were new to this curriculum I would if it was me and I hadn't covered the material before or wasn't sure if I had. If it turns out you already know what's covered in L1 so it's essentially revision for you, you'll breeze through it in no time, but leave no gaps in what's required to progress through L2. The approach I would take is pick one, either Blues or Rock and do L1 followed by L2 before progressing to the other. 

Welcome. 

Thanks manXcat.

I am an experienced beginner just restarting again playing.

Taking what you said to heart I will be doing the Blues 1 and then 2 and then go for the rock courses.

Right now I am having a blast with the Blues lessons and am progressing slowly :)

# 3
PlinkingZombie
Full Access
PlinkingZombie
Full Access
10/20/2022 9:48 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: paulrsmith

Hello all.

I am a new learner and have tried to play guitar before but never really got past the noodling stage as I set the bar too high for myself. (thought I could teach myself SRV's Little Wing)

Anyway I am having fun with the Blues course and learning a LOT. Anders is a really good player and sure knows his stuff.

So going through the lessons one thing that was enlightening was Christopher's lesson where he shows you how to hold a guitar properly with a strap. Thank should be a mandatory first lesson for everyone. Sure took away my back and wrist pain.

I have a 50's Squire Strat and the Fender Mustang LT25 and am having a blast learning and am going slow.

Want to do the Blues and Rock course and not sure if I should do LVL1 with both before going to LVL2.

I am older and love Classic Rock and Blues and also Jazz.

Paul

Got a link to that "how to hold a guitar with a strap" lesson?  I thought I had it down but with a few of the recent lessons I've had a little wrist or back pain so I'm game to see what you're talking about.

I have a sedinetary job, but try to stay phsyically active, so my pain could just be from sitting most of the day and not hitting the gym enough the past three weeks.

# 4
paulrsmith
paulrsmith
10/23/2022 1:42 pm
#4 Originally Posted by: PlinkingZombie

Got a link to that "how to hold a guitar with a strap" lesson?  I thought I had it down but with a few of the recent lessons I've had a little wrist or back pain so I'm game to see what you're talking about.

I have a sedinetary job, but try to stay phsyically active, so my pain could just be from sitting most of the day and not hitting the gym enough the past three weeks.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson/13958

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.