View post (Outlining the chords to Hotel Ca.)

View thread

SRVFan2000
SRVFan2000
10/03/2022 3:20 pm

I saw this video on YTube by Rick Beato called Famous Progression Triad Exercise.

Rick is playing lead to Hotel Ca. He lists the chords on the screen but my question is, "what exactly is he fretting?" For example, the tune is in Bm. He starts out with a simple Bm run. Is he playing the 1st position of the B MINOR pentatonic scale? Then, as the chord changes, he goes to F# MAJOR and does a run there, then onto A MAJOR, E MAJOR, G MAJOR, F# MAJOR. I understand that individual NOTES are neither MAJOR or MINOR. I was refering to the CHORDS that he is chasing and the scales he is using. So is he then switching over to play the respective MAJOR scales? I thought that you usually stay within the main scale- so in this case it is B MINOR. This is where my confusion lies.

It sounds great as he outlines and chases the chords. I am new to chord chasing- I usually just randomly play scales and try to land on the right note- at least on the "one." This definitely sounds better and more advanced so I am eager to learn from anyone who knows. Once I get this down I figure it will carry over to many other tunes.

Thanks in advance!