A bit stuck on the rhythm strumming part for About a Girl Nirvana B Section

Violanted
Violanted
09/30/2022 4:16 pm

Hey All

I'm relative new start up about 1 year ago and I am done with GTF 1 and GTF 2 half way.

I started to learn some songs Smoke on the Water Deep Purple, BB King the thrill is gone, and now Nirvana About a girl. All easy enough but on this one I am having some difficulty on B section called: "Hang Me Out To Dry: B-Section"

It is not about the chrod progression but it's about how to strum the chrords and how to do it between chrod change.

I am using on the section A as explained by instructor, the strumming goes like 2 down stroke on the beat 1 2 and after that up and down on each other up and down beat and on the "4 and" so it's played like 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and the bold oen are the one played and the first "and" is an up stroke

Hope you understand what I am saying it is difficult to explain it for me without showing you.

Can I apply this strumming technique , is that correct right?

Thanks

Dave Mojo

davide.violante@rockers.rocks

www.rockers.rocks

[u]Netheralnds[/u]

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/09/2022 1:00 am
#1 Originally Posted by: Violanted

Hey All

I'm relative new start up about 1 year ago and I am done with GTF 1 and GTF 2 half way.

I started to learn some songs Smoke on the Water Deep Purple, BB King the thrill is gone, and now Nirvana About a girl. All easy enough but on this one I am having some difficulty on B section called: "Hang Me Out To Dry: B-Section"

It is not about the chrod progression but it's about how to strum the chrords and how to do it between chrod change.

I am using on the section A as explained by instructor, the strumming goes like 2 down stroke on the beat 1 2 and after that up and down on each other up and down beat and on the "4 and" so it's played like 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and the bold oen are the one played and the first "and" is an up stroke

Hope you understand what I am saying it is difficult to explain it for me without showing you.

Can I apply this strumming technique , is that correct right?

Thanks

The B section is strummed a tiny bit differently.  The first measure is:

Down on 1 (C#), miss on "and"

Down on 2, up on "and" to play the open strings (sometimes just a strum on the muted strings)

Down on 3 (G#), miss on "and"

Down on 4, up on "and" to play the open strings (sometimes just a strum on the muted strings)

The second measure is:

Down on 1, up on "and" (F#)

Down on 2 on muted strings, up on "and" (F#)

Miss on 3, up on "and"

Down on 4, up on "and" to play the open strings.

Essentially, keep your strumming arm in motion doing eighth notes all the time.  Then look at the notation to see when to strum a chord, open strings, mute or miss the strings.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.