Metallica

Kirk_Aimar
Kirk_Aimar
02/13/2003 6:35 am
Originally posted by Koopa
don't most bands sorta die off after 3 or so albums?

i dunno, im prolly wrong but bands like metallica, ratm, korn started off with some kickass stuff but none of there recent stuff is worth a buy. i think anyway

yeah metallica..starts off with some kickass album.. and now their recent album been dissapointing..but you can't expect a carbon copy of the master or ride the lightning album rite? if every season they come out with the same type of album..it will be dissapointing won't it? well these guys.. have wide music taste.. why not they make an album on what they felt..respect their decision if not have a liking on their dissapointing album at least. Anyway this is just my humble opinion. No offence. :D

[Edited by Kirk_Aimar on 02-13-2003 at 12:57 AM]
*Speed is nothing without control*
# 1
kingdavid
kingdavid
02/13/2003 8:46 am
Originally posted by trendkillah
...SLY, not that I really care what you think of me...

You do.
If you didn't,you wouldn't even bother to point it out,coz you'd be sooooo indifferent,you can't generate enough difference to let the indifference be known.
We're human beings.We have feelings.End of story.
No point masking it.
# 2
kingdavid
kingdavid
02/13/2003 8:52 am
Back to Mettalica,
and the whole notion of "selling out";
I think the response mettalica get with the new album should tell them what their fans think about it.
If doing a good(by whatever measure of good) album gets you sales,then a bad album shouldn't.The words selling out normally imply doing crappy stuff for money,and this is something I've never understood:
How does making a crap album increase your album sales?They should drop!
Or so I thought.
# 3
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
02/13/2003 2:08 pm
Selling out is changing your style of music to suit a larger audience, thus to increase sales figures. Becoming more mainstream in other words. Aerosmtih did that.
The irony of selling out is that it doesnt always result in larger sales figures!
# 4
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
02/13/2003 4:16 pm
Exactly , a band like metallica noticing that the mainstream in radios & MTVs is Rap Metal or other kind of music that is dramatically different from their style and other styles they've grown up on ... So they try to fit themselves into it , in order to be a more radio-friendly band , have some rap/pop fans listening to them , increasing their sales , and worst of all giving up their original style & attitude.

If every metal/rock band goes on like this in order to get mainstream instead of trying to spread their original style , real Metal is gonna die .

Metallica's fans don't want a "Master of Puppets" clone or something... Does "And Justice for All" ,"Master of Puppets" , "Ride The Lightening" , "Kill'em All" & "Black Album" sound the same ?

I once read an interview with Jimi Page and he said that he and Robert Plant don't use the name "Led Zeppelin" anymore in their projects cuz it was nice and they don't want to spoil it.

Anyway , if they think they're getting too old for headbanging & speed metal , they're definately not too young to rap with Limp Bizkit next summer.
# 5
atc323
atc323
02/13/2003 7:59 pm
I think you're right, that selling out means that they are catering to the mainstream audience, moving towards a style that will sell more albums and make more money. Makes sense right?

How then can you say that Metallica sold out? Most people hated Load and Reload (i think theres some good stuff on there but thats just me)... they made money still - but that was not selling out. Then there was garage inc, they covered a lot of great classic metal songs, songs that most people (mainstream) wouldn't have even heard of or have any desire to hear at all. I won't judge their newest album until I actually hear it myself, just knowing how they tuned their guitars doesn't mean anything to me, why make assumptions. Those guys are old but they are still fully capable of writing kick ass songs, I just know it.

Hey, I don't post here much, but I read it all the time... guitar tricks kicks ass & you guys all rule!
# 6
icecool
icecool
02/13/2003 9:24 pm
I love a good chance to have a say on Metallica, sorry, i mean selloutallica ;)

Gone are the good days of 'here we are, this is our music, i dont give a f*** whether you like it or not' They were the golden metal days. But now metallica shift with different music 'fads' i.e rap metal, nu-metal and I feel betrayed, nothing they do is inspirational anymore, nothing they do makes me want to say 'you guys still f****ng rule'. Load and Re-load was mostly mindless tripe, nothing new, nothing inventive,made (to my ears) purely for the commercial side of the music buisness, and it is less than pleasing to see a great metal band deteriate into a commercial, predictable mess.

Dont get me wrong, I sincerely hope that metallica turn it around with their new album...but everything is pointing to a 'two riffs per track' mess.

oh, and Hammett should be kicked out. hehe.

# 7
kingdavid
kingdavid
02/14/2003 6:45 am
Speaking of metallica,there's this double cd album they recorded with the san frisco symphony orchestra,it's called S&M.Is that S&M,as in Sanfrisco and Metallica,or as in Sado masochism?
# 8
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
02/14/2003 8:19 am
LOL @ " Sado masochism " ! :D
# 9
oldpunker
oldpunker
02/14/2003 4:06 pm
The phrase "sell out" is always used in a derogatory way. Let's step back a bit and analyze why Metallica "sold out".

The core of this band, Hetfield, Ulrich, And Hammett have been making recording, and selling music their life since they were 15-16 yrs old. At what point do you think they said, "Hey we don't really have any other skills, so lets listen to what the record company says and see what happens.

Don't get me wrong, I was a die hard Metallica fan up to And Justice and I was crushed when they warned us that they were going in a new direction and then released the Black album at which point I felt violated and exploited. How could they do this to us? I spent so much time, money and loyalty on them for them to go chicken$hit on me?

But I digress.. I stopped listening to them altogether and hated them for years. Around the time I turned 28 or so My IT career started taking off (stay with me here a moment) I had 2 children (now 3) to take care of and thought there would alwys be a need for a PC Technician that could troubleshoot just about any PC issue. Then came outsourcing, the company I worked for laid me off after years of loyalty because they could save a few k a year.

In short, since then I've been a PC tech contractor,a cook, a janitor, a pizza delivery guy,and a security guard. I got back into a company making decent money doing what I do best and they also laid me off after a couple of years.

My point is that it's scary out there when you have few skills and when faced with extinction you may do things that you normally wouldn't do to stay alive. I think Metallica "sold out" because they knew they could be nothing else but musicians. By the way I still can't stand their new music but I understand why thy did what they did.

Sorry if I ranted but I wanted to shed some light on some of the folks that may think that "selling out" is always a bad thing. Sometimes compromising your integrity whether it's musical or not is what you have to do to be succesful, or just survive in music and in life. Take it from a lifelong Punker..

We see things as we are, not as they are. - Anais Nin
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.