View post (Chasing Chords / Keys)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/29/2022 4:19 am
#1 Originally Posted by: SRVFan2000

I want to improve my ability to not only chase chords (land on the correct root note), but also play over them more musically (not sound like I am stuck in a pentatonic box shape.) I know my major scale (1st position only) and all 5 shapes of the major and minor pentatonic scales- and a few modes. 

I know that not all pieces fit into one key neatly. In a simple tune, say blues, I can generally play well within the key e.g., Am penta and land on the correct note (emphasize it) when the chord changes. However, in other, more complicated pieces, should I endeavor to stay all within the "key" at all times or should I change scales for each chord? 

Sadly, I mostly have memorized shapes. I really do not have a particularly good ear- or flexibility to dance around the fretboard. I still use a digital tuner! I am trying to learn and hear all the notes on the fretboard but it is quite challenging.  The issue I have is when I hear a more complex piece (not simple and predictable Blues) and the standard scale does not always seem to work.

In a piece I would like to learn (below), this cat is jamming with arpeggios, random licks and it is extremely musical. I suspect he is jumping in and out of different scales and modes but I am not sure. By contrast, I sound like I am playing a scale- not very musical. Is he mixing up different scales? How would I know which patterns to play? I want to play like him but I am nowhere near doing so. Any tips would be much appreciated.

In YTbe, the title to this piece is "Fun Loop Chords and Use Those Ears!" Guthrie Trapp

Thanks!

Improvising & playing lead lines has 3 steps.

1 - Know the key signature.  This means to know what scale to use for the chord progression.
2 - Target chord tones.  This means to rhythmically emphasize the chords as they occur with your lines.
3 - Play melodic phrases.

So, it sounds like you are at step 1.  Now it's time to think about how to use the scales to target chord tones & build a vocabulary of melodic phrases to use when you solo.

It's important to realize that knowing or playing scales is just the first step.  It's only a pre-requisite to soloing.  Now you need to use those scales to build a repertoire of licks.  Of things to play when you solo.

Playing scales is a great warmup skill that will help you learn the basic physical techniques required to start learning licks.  But playing licks & improvising requires taking those scale playing skills & combining it with learning a vocabulary. You have to learn set licks & patterns, then repeat them until they are automated, completely second nature. Then you can focus on counting after you've automated some licks.

You need to learn some licks & get them to the piont at which you can think, "Play lick 1!" & your hours of repetitious practice & muscle memory takes care of the motions while you are consciously focusing on counting. Then, you think, "Play lick 2" & so on.

The point is that the each lick is a self-contained unit, worked out completely or mostly in advance. And you don't have to think about each motion required. Your conscious focus is free to count or think in big picture units, like counting or thinking of which lick to do next & when to start it. You can start to mix & match your building block licks.

So when you listen to the guy in the YT vid (great player!), you'll see him doing this.  He clearly states the chord prog (Dm / Am / Gm / Gm).  Then he proceeds to play very simple chord tones in a similar rhythmic phrase.

He plays the same rhythmic grouping (creating a repeated motif) of a half-note, then 2 quarter notes using descending triads right on the chords that are happening.

a-f-d (5-3-1 of the D min chord when it happens)

g-e-c (7-5-3 of the A min cord when it happens)

f-d-b-flat (7-5-3 of the G min chord when it happens)

It immediately sounds like a musical phrase because he's playing a specific pattern:  3 descending chord tones in a repeated phrasing group over each chord.  The he continues to build on that simple idea with more ideas that are notes from the D minor scale, but not just running the scale in an even rhythm.  He's playing notes that target the chords as they occur & doing it in little rhythmic motifs, or statements.

With that in mind, have a look at these tutorials on building some licks that are the basis of learning a vocabulary.

Bread & Butter Blues 1

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1614

Major Notes In Minor Pentatonic

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=217

And have a look at how I put it all together in my collection of tutorials on improvisation.  If you haven't seen these yet, then I strongly encourage you to at least watch through the first three tutorials.  They are very simple, but will give you an very basic understanding of the concept and help you to get started playing with melodic lines that target chord tones.  Then you'll be ready for the last two that get more complex and involved.

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/learning-to-improvise

Then you'll be on your way to having a vocbulary of licks to play! Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory