View post (Chasing Chords / Keys)

View thread

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/28/2022 7:27 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: SRVFan2000

I want to improve my ability to not only chase chords (land on the correct root note), but also play over them more musically (not sound like I am stuck in a pentatonic box shape.) I know my major scale (1st position only) and all 5 shapes of the major and minor pentatonic scales- and a few modes. 

I know that not all pieces fit into one key neatly. In a simple tune, say blues, I can generally play well within the key e.g., Am penta and land on the correct note (emphasize it) when the chord changes. However, in other, more complicated pieces, should I endeavor to stay all within the "key" at all times or should I change scales for each chord? 

Sadly, I mostly have memorized shapes. I really do not have a particularly good ear- or flexibility to dance around the fretboard. I still use a digital tuner! I am trying to learn and hear all the notes on the fretboard but it is quite challenging.  The issue I have is when I hear a more complex piece (not simple and predictable Blues) and the standard scale does not always seem to work.

In a piece I would like to learn (below), this cat is jamming with arpeggios, random licks and it is extremely musical. I suspect he is jumping in and out of different scales and modes but I am not sure. By contrast, I sound like I am playing a scale- not very musical. Is he mixing up different scales? How would I know which patterns to play? I want to play like him but I am nowhere near doing so. Any tips would be much appreciated.

In YTbe, the title to this piece is "Fun Loop Chords and Use Those Ears!" Guthrie Trapp

Thanks!

There is a lot here in this lesson and as suspected you are more ambitious than I am which is great. 

What I picked up on is "focus on what you hear". I think I understand what he is saying. For instance if I am told we are going to be doing a 12 bar blues - A D E. Once we get going I will know the chords by ear and what notes might sound best for me to come in with. And I just stick to pentatonic btw. But it's timing and knowing what to play when, and being creative with those 5 notes (and you may not play all 5 of course) and this takes practice, and skill and patience. I am not that good at it. I like to throw in some notes cautiously, hit some chords, have a drink and relax. So what I am saying is that I not that creative. But a trick I learned from a local teacher - his name is Scott Medford and you can find him on Youtube - is to learn a bunch of licks. That way I am not trying to make something up on the fly. These will always work and I am having a good time.

I know you want to be more creative than that and I really applaude you. Good luck with it.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!