Self taught nightmare.

shultzie
shultzie
09/18/2022 2:27 pm

Hey 

53 year old self taught player.  Not a beginner but not advanced.  Decent skills but bad habits.  Learned by ear so theory was never a thing. 

where does someone like me start?

thinking about signing up.  Just wanted to know how it works.  Does it work?

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/18/2022 4:34 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: shultzie

Hey 

53 year old self taught player.  Not a beginner but not advanced.  Decent skills but bad habits.  Learned by ear so theory was never a thing. 

where does someone like me start?

thinking about signing up.  Just wanted to know how it works.  Does it work?

It depends on your exact skill level, knowledge & musical goals.

Without more specific info my general suggestion is to work through the Fundamentals courses.  That will shore up any holes in your sills & knowledge making sure that you are prepared to go forward.  Most people with prior experience find it easy to click through the Fundamentals skipping through the material they already know.  But they benefit from the solid curriculum background review.

After that pick a style course to work on (blues, country, rock, acoustic) depending on your musical goals.  At the same time you should be learning songs.  Songs are where you learn the vocabulary of the music you want to play.  You'll see which chords, scales, techniques, ideas you need to work on or improve on in order to play the music you desire.  GT has a huge library of specialized curriculum material for diving deeper into many of those topics.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
09/21/2022 9:38 pm

Shultzie,

You're in exactly the right place.

I'm 65 and self taught for guitar too with some bad technical habits I picked up over the years.  I swallowed my pride a bit and went through a number of lessons that have highlighted a number of flaws in my playing.  
The most difficult?  Holding my pick properly. I've played and gigged for years but never would admit that holding my pick incorrectly was actually holding me back.

Jump in. This is good stuff.

# 3
warlock66_x
warlock66_x
09/28/2022 9:06 pm

hi shultze

in much the same boat   55 yrs old   self taught.   played (or at least noodled around) for 5-6 years, but couldnt play a song to save my life.   just joined a few days ago and decided to just start over at the beginning.   good luck to you!

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.