Does anybody else just want to play a song??

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/02/2022 9:44 pm

Nothing wrong with just learning songs if that's all you want to do.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 1
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
09/04/2022 6:12 pm

"Just want to play a song"? Heck yes! That's what got me into this crazy gig.

The question then becomes -

"Do I want to play a song - any song?" Or,

"Do I want to play a song - a particular song?" Where you love, for example, Jimmy Page's classic lead break in "Whole Lotta Love" or whatever it is that trips your trigger.

If it's the "any song" option, then you can filer the Songs available here on GT according to your skill level. If the exact song you want isn't here, I'm betting you can find a song in the list with the same chord and timing structure that you can adapt to play "the" song you desire. In fact, there's enough songs at enough skill levels to create a number of performance sets - you and your guitar in front of a mic or you with your mates rocking out at a party. Even a set of the easiest songs listed will sound excellent if you execute them with care.

If it's the "I gotta play this one damn song/solo or I'll burst" choice, then you have a few options.

1. Take a look at the GT instructors and pick a few who play in your desired style and ask them. In my couple of years here, I've found the instructors to be very, very responsive. They may be able to guide you to individual training modules that will give you the chops you need to hammer out your song/solo. Really an awesome group of folks.

2. If you click on "Beginner Lessons" you'll see three blocks on the bottom. If you click on "Expert Lessons" you'll see six blocks at the bottom. These content in these blocks can answer some very specific questions you may have about how a particular artist plays, different techniques, gear - all sorts of stuff. I've enjoyed the Lessons, but I think the info in these blocks is some of my favorite stuff.

3. I'm betting that 1 & 2 will land you close to what you're looking for, but if you've just got to go straight to someone showing you exactly how to play that song/solo, you can probably cruise the internet and find someone who's done that for you. While I use GT as my primary site, I still sometimes visit other sites to see what's up.

Whew - sorry for the long winded response but it would be wrong for me to not to point out one more thing: knowledge is not the same as ability. For that killer song/solo, you'll still need the necessary skills - slides, bends, what to do with your picking hand, building up the speed necessary to play it right - because knowing where to put your fingers is only the beginning. There are skills only acquired through practice that are necessary. All of the desire, good intentions, etc are great, but will not do it alone. You've got to put in the time - even to play that one solo.

The rewards are worth it, though. Mastering that "one" song or solo will create a hunger for more and you'll find that the skills acquired by mastering that "one" solo has put you on one awesome, cool path.

# 2
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/07/2022 3:23 pm

It is absolutely perfectly fine to just want to play a song!

If that is what gives you satisfaction and joy, then that is golden.

No pressure to keep pushing the envelope, if that is not what you wish to do.

It's all your call!

Have fun!

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
09/09/2022 7:26 pm
Originally Posted by: William MG

Nothing wrong with just learning songs if that's all you want to do.

For anyone stumbling in to this thread; learning songs is so important to progressing as a player. Knowing the theory and tools are significant building blocks but great songs teach you how to apply that stuff.

I remember talking to someone (and I probably said it in a GT thread over the years), but blues-based rock playing 101; learn Lynyrd Skynyrd all day long. Skynyrd is a masterclass in blues-rock licks, taste and building on thematic concepts.

Obviously there's a million examples of other bands but the point is that learning songs is like learning the language by speaking the language. If you wanted to learn Spanish or German or whatever and someone handed you a book, how well would you speak it? Not very. You have to apply in practice. For music, songs are that learning of language.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.