Need advice

Unforgiven2004
Unforgiven2004
08/25/2022 7:37 pm

Hello! I am a beginner guitar learner. I take advantage of my holidays and practice for around 2 hours daily. I will tell you my routine, and can you please tell me whether I am not doing something wrong? Or whether I should do something more?

I start off the lesson by warming up my fingers, then I practice chords, notes, and others things I learned previously. After that, I take 2-3 guitar tricks lessons (depending on the day since I only take guitar tricks classes once every two days), and I finish lesson by learning an additional part of songs I like (and practicing part of songs I had already learned).

Thank you in advance.

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
08/25/2022 8:30 pm

Sounds like you have a good grasp on things, but I will offer this. It is from Christopher, one of the instructors. Probably the best overview I can imagine

Every individual has a different daily life schedule & amount of skill they bring to the task of learning guitar. With that in mind here is a generalized list of how to approach learning & practicing.

1. Practice your guitar some every day.

2. If at all possible, practice earlier rather than later, so you won't run out of time & then feel guilty about not getting in your daily practice. If this means getting up an hour eariler, then do it. This is always preferable to waiting until the end of a long, frazzled workday, then rushing through a tired, uninspired, frustrating practice session. And staying up an hour later to do it!

3. Start with a warm up of something fun that you can already do. Chord changes, a simple song, a scale, a melody. Anything, but something you can already do that is fun. Even if this is the only thing you do, or have time for, at least you played your guitar, got your fingers & mind moving musically & it was fun.

4. Eventually change to something that is problematic. Something new you are not good at yet. Scales, chord changes, memorizing notes, reading music notation. Spend time learning something new & challenging. Go forward in the Fundamentals course!

It is important to keep in mind that this is new stuff you aren't good at yet. Be patient with yourself. Remember that everyone has to climb the leaning curve. We all had to go through this difficult stage. Some people work faster, some slower, but everyone has to put in their time.

5. End with something fun that you can already do. Again, a chord progression, a scale, a melody, a simple song. Anything, but something you can already do that is FUN. This lets you end your practice session on a good, productive note. You can leave the guitar satisfied rather than frustrated. You will be encouraged about your skill & look forward to playing the next time or day.

An example of an hour practice session:

5 minutes of warm up. Stretch your arms, hands, fingers. Slowly & deliberately play some simple chord changes & scales or scale fragments. The goal is to get your mind & body acclimated to the guitar & music.

10-20 minutes of playing something fun that you can already do. Chord changes, a simple song, a scale, a melody. Anything, but something you can already do that is FUN. Even if this is the only thing you do, or have time for, at least you played your guitar, got your fingers & mind moving musically & it was fun.

10-20 minutes of trying something that is problematic. Something new you are not good at yet. Working on a song you are learning, single note lines from a song, a challenging set of chord changes, memorizing notes, reading music notation. Spend time learning something new & challenging.

It is important to keep in mind that this is new stuff you aren't good at yet. Be patient with yourself. Remember that everyone has to climb the leaning curve. We all had to go through this difficult stage. Some people work faster, some slower, but everyone has to put it their time.

10-15 minutes of something fun that you can already do. Again, a song, a chord progression, a scale, a melody, a simple song. Anything, but something you can already do that is FUN. You are ending your practice session on a good, productive note. You can leave the guitar satisfied rather than frustrated. You will be encouraged about your skill & look forward to playing the next time or day.

Playing guitar requires a lot of fine motor skills that can only be acquired by a lot of repetitious practice. There is simply no substitute for hours logged on the machine.

What, when & how to practice depends entirely upon each student's goals & situation. But once you've acquired the basic skills to play guitar, the best approach to a practice plan is one that focuses strongly on:

1. Learning songs.[br]2. Learning or refining skills needed to play songs.[br]3. Improving weak areas.

Hope that helps! Please ask more if necessary & best of success![br]Christopher Schlegel[br]Guitar Tricks Instructor[br]Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory[br]#9

08/16/2022[br]7:20:51 AM

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
candiceschn
candiceschn
08/25/2022 10:40 pm

What if I do not know how to read music? Will this course teach me that as well?

# 3
manXcat
manXcat
08/25/2022 11:18 pm
Originally Posted by: candiceschn

What if I do not know how to read music? Will this course teach me that as well?

Learning To Read Music 1[br][br]Learning To Read Music 2[br][br][br]

# 4
candiceschn
candiceschn
08/26/2022 1:40 am

Thanks so much!!!

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/26/2022 1:34 pm

Thanks to William for posting my practicing guitar advice. And manXcat for linking my reading music tutorials. I appreciate it!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 6
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
08/26/2022 5:23 pm

Pleasure Christopher

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 7
JeffS65
JeffS65
08/26/2022 5:52 pm
Originally Posted by: Unforgivne 2004

Hello! I am a beginner guitar learner. I take advantage of my holidays and practice for around 2 hours daily. I will tell you my routine, and can you please tell me whether I am not doing something wrong? Or whether I should do something more?

I start off the lesson by warming up my fingers, then I practice chords, notes, and others things I learned previously. After that, I take 2-3 guitar tricks lessons (depending on the day since I only take guitar tricks classes once every two days), and I finish lesson by learning an additional part of songs I like (and practicing part of songs I had already learned).

Thank you in advance.

Lots of awesome info here, so I'll just re-emphasize this part; "End with something fun that you can already do."

You have a very disciplined approach, and that is awesome. God knows way back when I started, I shoulda been that focused. With that said, playing guitar is ultimately about having fun so don't bog yourself down by thinking that it all must be work. Definately put in the work but don't skip the fun part.

It's like that cliche to dance like nobody's watching; take some time to play like nobody cares. Sure, try to play it well but if a mistake happens during the playing 'fun time', so be it.

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.