Playing A Minor

jefflonowski81
jefflonowski81
08/15/2022 6:18 pm

I practiced A Minor with middle and ring finger in the way I thought was shown. But in another lesson, the instructor has these fingers switched. Does it depend on the chord played before the E Minor - to make the transition easier - or was I doing it wrong all along?

# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
08/15/2022 7:08 pm
Originally Posted by: jefflonowski81

I practiced A Minor with middle and ring finger in the way I thought was shown. But in another lesson, the instructor has these fingers switched. Does it depend on the chord played before the E Minor - to make the transition easier - or was I doing it wrong all along?

I personally prefer this (these) configurations below.

Something to keep in mind is that certain things you are taught such as finger configurations are generally the norm or way people do it, but it is not a law. Some folks may finger a chord a different way because they learned it that way or maybe there was an ergonomic reason to do so.

As you grow as a player, you realize that what is originally a guide to playing as a beginner is not actually a law and as you start learning your own way, you may adjust to fit your style or physicality. But to be clear, doing the 'generally accepted' way is probably a good thing and it's tried and true for most guitarist. But if you veer off that path, no one will issue you a ticket and a fine either! ;)

# 2
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/16/2022 10:57 pm

Hi Jeff,

Ultimately, it would be good to be able to do the Aminor both ways.

The reason has to do with transitioning from one chord to the next.

You are always coming TO a chord from a different chord.

Sometimes one or the other fingering will make that transition smoother. [br][br]

And, after the Aminor has had it's time in the song, you will be moving on to another, different chord. [br][br]

So in a sense, your A minor is "bookended" by where you are coming from, and where you are going to next.

Trying out different fingering options for the A minor may make that whole trifecta easier - or more difficult. It's a matter of experimentation. [br][br]

AND, if you are just starting out, I would recommend you set a goal to master the A minor as taught and notated in the chord charts. In the long run, I think that will serve you better. [br][br]

Save the variations for later.

Play on - have fun! - Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.