Struggling playing with backing tracks

paul.j.riso
paul.j.riso
07/27/2022 1:41 am

Howdy,

I'm struggling to figure out how to play with backing tracks. For example I stumbled across Mike Olekshy's A Major Shuffle Blues Groove on YouTube and thought I could use this. Seemed sinple enoguh. However, when I tried just using a simple A5/A6 shuffle rhythm to play along it was a disaster. I couldn't play along, I was not in time. What am I missing? I thought a shuffle was a shuffle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/27/2022 11:05 am
Originally Posted by: paul.j.riso

I'm struggling to figure out how to play with backing tracks. For example I stumbled across Mike Olekshy's A Major Shuffle Blues Groove on YouTube and thought I could use this.[/quote][p]Can you post a link to the video?

[quote=paul.j.riso]

Seemed sinple enoguh. However, when I tried just using a simple A5/A6 shuffle rhythm to play along it was a disaster. I couldn't play along, I was not in time. What am I missing? I thought a shuffle was a shuffle.

This is difficult to assess without hearing what you are doing.

It could be that you are misunderstanding the rhythm (or the subdivisions) Mike is playing & therefore how to play along. It could be you just need to practice more to stay in time with this backing track.

Can you post an example of your playing?

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
paul.j.riso
paul.j.riso
07/29/2022 12:01 am

Hi Christopher,

Apologies for the tardy reply. Thank you for your quick reply.

Here is the YouTube backing track I was talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74xL5ChUkco&list=PLPXdTwmjZgCsSSdYNAg1_rcInU6JUsZn9&index=5

Unfortunately, I am not able to figure out how to record myself playing. I downloaded Loom with my son's help and I still can't figure it out. I'll work on getting this sorted out. Anyway, I think the problem I am having is that I was trying to play a boom chick-a shuffle where you are palm muting. I tried just the 1...&2,....&3,....&4 without the palm muting and it seems to be better. For the record I struggle with all of the backing tracks. I think what I need is a 1:1 lesson.

On another note. I've been doing your minor pentatonic scale exercises and it has really improved my finger dexterity. I use them everyday for warm up. I'm certianly not very fast but improving. Also, the Improvising for Beginners I am enjoying as well.

Thank you,

Paul Riso

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/29/2022 2:54 pm

Here is the YouTube backing track I was talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74xL5ChUkco&list=PLPXdTwmjZgCsSSdYNAg1_rcInU6JUsZn9&index=5

[/quote]

Thanks for the link! One possible stumbling block with that particular backing track is that Mike is almost always playing on the backbeat. His guitar is almost always playing on the triplet "uh" of the beat.

In an eighth note triplet shuffle, each beat is subdivided into 3 equally paced parts:

1-and-uh, 2-and-uh, 3-and-uh, 4-and-uh

The guitar in that track is only playing a chord on the "uh" of each beat.

When you play a standard diad boogie rhythm, you are playing on the downbeat (each counted number (1-2-3-4) as well as the "uh".

Try again with that mind!

This tutorial is aimed at beginners working on the triplet blues shuffle.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=189

Originally Posted by: paul.j.risoFor the record I struggle with all of the backing tracks. I think what I need is a 1:1 lesson.

Start simple & gradually get more advanced. One-on-one lessons is always a great idea for immediate feedback!

[quote=paul.j.riso]On another note. I've been doing your minor pentatonic scale exercises and it has really improved my finger dexterity. I use them everyday for warm up. I'm certianly not very fast but improving. Also, the Improvising for Beginners I am enjoying as well.

Good deal! Thanks for the positive feedback. Keep practicing!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 4
paul.j.riso
paul.j.riso
07/30/2022 12:23 am

Thanks Christopher! I'll give it a whirl.

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/30/2022 3:33 pm

Thanks Christopher! I'll give it a whirl.

You're welcome! Please ask more questions as necessary!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.