View post (Dialling in the Katana 100 Mk11)

View thread

mjgodin
mjgodin
07/16/2022 2:05 pm

Far be it from me to ever give advice on how to dial in a guitar amp especially since I run with the acoustic pack, but I thought I'd pass this info on to see if it will help you.

A couple of years ago I purchased a Squire Telecaster mainly to help with learning Barre chords cause electrics are easier in that respect, and to explore the world of electric guitar so I followed that purchase with a Katana 50 Mk1 on sale at my local store.

Since it was a Tele and I like country music I wanted to get that "Twangy" sound that Teles are known for, but like you had no experience with amps and effects. The Boss tone studio just seemed to have nothing, but heavy metal sounds which no longer interested me. I then went out to the Internet to see what I could find and came across this web site.

GuitarPatches

They have a lot of custom made patches made by other players for lots of Boss amps and other products for specific songs, genres and artists. There are probably other sites out there, but this is one that I found. Its easy to use. I just typed in Country in the search field and it came up with a couple of patches that I was able to download to my computer and then upload into the Boss Studio software interface. I have two that I saved. One being an older Tele country sound that you'd hear on 70's & 80's music and another more modern country sound you'd find in todays music. I then saved them into my presets.

Again, I am in now way an expert on this stuff, but if I can figure it out I'm sure you'll have no problem with it. You had mentioned you were looking for a Jimmy Page tone. I just typed in his name in the search field and it came up with several. If anything you could load them up then launch the Editor in Boss Studio to get some baseline measurements to see how they created them and use those settings for any future desires.

However, like Christopher said. Don't spend too much time turning knobs or in this case downloading files. These sounds are not gonna be exact to what you hear on record, but gets you in the ballpark to make practice a little more fun. Everything is still relative to the gear your using. One thing I've discovered is that a great deal of tone comes from the fingers. I'll let Christopher explain that further if you need. lol

Anyway have fun and good luck. Hope it helps.

Moe