View post (Dialling in the Katana 100 Mk11)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/14/2022 2:38 pm

You're welcome!

Originally Posted by: SamA01

The tone that I am looking for is the heavy rock tone with a bit of overdrive and lots of fuzz but not heavily distorted. I am trying to get those Jimmy Page sounds in Whole Lot of Love and Kashmire.[/quote]

Page's studio tone on those is actually quite basic & almost thin especially compared to modern production. Especially the lead tone. Look up the isolated guitar tracks.

[quote=SamA01]This is the Studio Rats You tube video https://youtu.be/mFRmKtOkk3I which is Blues Rock tone whcih I was referring to. From the start with everything at 50% his sound is fuller and heavy compared to my sound.

Thanks for the link. What volume are you playing at? I'm guessing he is playing direct into the DAW recording setup for the video. And that's necessarily going to sound much different than your speaker amp in a room at a low volume.

At about 3:50 he adds the boost like I was saying. That really brightens up the tone with treble. Later at 4:40 he adds compression. And he explains that this is done to make up for the lack of bite & punch to the tone. That sort of thing happens naturally with a good loud tube amp. :)

But in the end, even the tone he has at the beginning is good enough to practice & build you chops! Notice that he's playing completely solo here. And a lot of these fine details like the delay & compression get lost in the mix as soon as you add bass & drums.

I understand that it's more motivating to practice with a tone that inspires you. But at a certain point it becomes diminishing returns. And you want to spend more time playing guitar than turning knobs!

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory