View post (Dialling in the Katana 100 Mk11)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/13/2022 11:20 am
Originally Posted by: SamA01

This amp has all the sounds or so it seems. However, I am having a difficult/torrid time dialling it in.

[/quote]

I have a Katana 50 MK1 & love it. One of the most important things about the Katana or any digital solid state amp is that treble, brightness & good sounding presence often requires volume. You have to turn it up a bit to get it to sound really good. :)

And there is always going to be a big difference in timbre between low & high volumes.

If you want to keep it at a home friendly volume level, then set it on the clean amp, gain & volume about 50%, bass 25%, mids & treble 75%.

And here's the important part, select any Boost setting & turn it up about 50%. This really adds some presence & sparkle to the clean tone. Try the green button setting for a treble booster-blues drive type tone.

Use your bridge pickup for the most treble sound. Add some reverb for depth. That should get you in the ballpark of a clean-ish bright rock tone to use for basic practice.

[quote=SamA01]

Today, I tried dialling in the Studio Rats Blues preset but alas, I can't seem to get his tone (I put it down to him using a HH PRS).

[p]I don't know what that is. Do you have a link to an example?

I did a whole series of demos using my Katana. It's pretty versatile.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLlnl5iWw43icBvpfQQUpzkOKfLncd-bL

If you give me some idea of what kind of music you are trying to play then I can probably help you with some settings. Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory