Bach Prelude in c

David Bacon
Full Access
David Bacon
Full Access
06/27/2022 5:15 pm

Hi all

Really enjoying the challenge of learning this clasical piece However finding it really tricky to get a clean open D note when playing the Dminor chord with a B in the base. Does anyone have any tips please.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/28/2022 12:20 am
Originally Posted by: David Bacon

Really enjoying the challenge of learning this clasical piece However finding it really tricky to get a clean open D note when playing the Dminor chord with a B in the base. Does anyone have any tips please.

I'm assuming you are referring to this tutorial.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2648

I'm not sure if you mean measure 2 or 3. Measure 2 is a D minor with a C in the bass. Measure 3 is a G7 with a B in the bass. In both cases, these tips will help!

1. Curve your hand & fretting fingers around to the string side of the neck as much as possible. This might mean moving your thumb a little lower or toward the middle of the back of the neck in order to give your fingers enough reach.

2. Keep your fingertips as straight down into the string & fretboard as possible. At least from the finger tip to the last knuckle really needs to be up high in order to avoid muting adjacent strings.

3. Try to stay as relaxed as possible. This is a pretty difficult piece & those measures require big reaches & stretches. So when you are learning it you are naturally bound to get tense & tighten up. So you need to make a conscious effort to relax & keep reminding yourself to stay relaxed until those chord shapes become more second nature.

4. Finally, go slow & be patient with yourself! This is a tricky one.

Hope that helps! Have fun with Bach! :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
David Bacon
Full Access
David Bacon
Full Access
06/28/2022 12:40 pm

Thank you Christopher. Cracked it repositioned my hand and particulary making a concious effort to relax which has improvred my technique no end as i progress throug the peice.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/28/2022 1:23 pm
Originally Posted by: David Bacon

Thank you Christopher. Cracked it repositioned my hand and particulary making a concious effort to relax which has improvred my technique no end as i progress throug the peice.

You're welcome. That's a great update! Glad you are making progress with it. :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.