Audio interface for Guitar

imanalien2010
imanalien2010
06/16/2022 2:25 am

Hello evryone, new here so im sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. I am just a average guy who loves to play guitar. Im Not in a band its just for fun. I dont know alot about alot..lol. Anyway I bought a U-Phoria UM2 Audio Interface. I was into software development and am a tech geek but I tried a million ways to get that thing to work. I could hear my guitar play through it and the metronome in Steinberg Cubase 12 software. All drivers installed etc but I couldnt get the DAWs(Cubase 12 with Groove agent 5, Reaper, Guitar Pro 7, Guitar Rig 6) None of them could I get to work.

So with that said, Does anyone know of an Audio Interface that works easy and most importantly works on Windows 11 64bit and is budget friendly meaning up to $200 at the most. All help and replies are greatly appreciated.

# 1
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
06/19/2022 7:40 pm

I'm really shocked that you haven't received even one response in 4 days! That's not typical here.

I don't know a thing about the interface you mentioned. But to answer your request of a recomendation of one take a look at the Scarlett line of interfaces.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlet2i2G3--focusrite-scarlett-2i2-3rd-gen-usb-audio-interface

I see them often recommended in forums like this one. The 2i2, which is what I have linked above, comes in within your budget. And this chubby, old, retired guitarist had no trouble using mine and I enjoyed it.

Before you click on the "Buy" button make sure you understand the Focusrite numbering system. The number before and after the "i" in the product name represent the number of inputs in and lines out, respectively.

So 2i2 obviously means two lines in and 2 out. Your immediate reaction, even though you are not in a band, might be to get the Scarlett Solo, just one input. But the cost difference between it and the 2i2 is minimal. You might at some point want to sing with your playing and so you can use both an input for your guitar and an input for a microphone. Or one day a buddy with a guitar may show up to jam and you want to record you both. Just something to consider.

I hope this delayed response helps and let us know what you get.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 2
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
06/19/2022 10:14 pm
Originally Posted by: imanalien2010

Anyway I bought a U-Phoria UM2 Audio Interface. [br][br]

Does anyone know of an Audio Interface that works easy and most importantly works on Windows 11 64bit and is budget friendly meaning up to $200 at the most. All help and replies are greatly appreciated.

[p][br]Behringer's UM2 is a long in the tooth very basic super tight budget AI, but will get the job done. Whether you've unnecessarily complicated things with Win11 IDK, but here's a suggestion. [br][br]You might like to try these Behringer specific x64 (Win10) drivers instead of the ASIO4ALL ones. They work with Win 10x64. Follow the installation procedure in this vid.[br][br]I use Behringer's U-phoria UMC204HD which I've had for about four years, still running on Win10x64. It works well. Expanded feature set similar to Focusrite's 4i4 without the price tag of even the 2i2.[br][br]As for Win11 compatibility. Behringer have released Win11 drivers for my UMC204HD, but I can't find anything specifically for the UM2. I suspect Scarlett's driver support is superior across the range including for their Solo. I don't use them, so can't say definitively, but Scarlett they have released Win11 drivers for the Scarlett series including the popular 2i2 & 4i4 3rd Gen which they keep updated.

Not bagging Focusrite's Scarlett series for anyone who prefers to go there. They make good kit. But the brand is significently more expensive in my country. I just don't want to pay a premium when it brings nothing more to my table I need or will use. The Midas preamps are more than adequate for my ears and needs. My strategy was/is save the money on buying hardware that does the job I need it to do without the popular brand price tag, which left/leaves more in the kitty to buy other things. i.e. my preferred DAW software. (PreSonus Studio One)[br][br]GL. You'll work it out one way or the other.

# 3
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
06/20/2022 2:38 pm
Originally Posted by: imanalien2010

Hello evryone, new here so im sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.

And I should have mentioned this in my earlier response. This probably should have gone in the "Recording" subforum. This possibly explains the lack of responses. Perhaps you want to ask a mod to move this thread to a proper home?

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 4
CassidyMclean1
CassidyMclean1
11/02/2022 4:01 am

I wanted to make a compliment, you say you don't know much, but it looks like you do

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.