C and D Chords

djrolo
djrolo
05/16/2022 5:17 pm

Good day,

I'm 57, new to accoustic guitar (3 months) and am a new member. I'm working my way through Ander M tutorials and am finding C chord and D chord very challenging; especially switching between C and D chords. Any suggestions?

I think Anders is great, but i'm not getting any instruction on how to read music. Just seems like a missed opportunity not to teach a new student how to read music while they are also learning the associated strings and chords.

Should I be watching tutorials from another instructor? Ideas?

# 1
Joe Newinski
Full Access
Joe Newinski
Full Access
05/17/2022 2:28 am

C is always a challenge. Stick with it and it will get there.

I downloaded an app on my cell phone. It's called JustinGuitar One Minute - you take two cords and hit start - you try to see how many cord changes you can do in one minute. It's a good exercise to focus on your cord changes. I think the app is free.

I do wish they would include tabs with the lessons so you can start to get familiar with reading guitar tabs.

# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
05/17/2022 3:57 pm
Originally Posted by: djrolo

Good day,

I'm 57, new to accoustic guitar (3 months) and am a new member. I'm working my way through Ander M tutorials and am finding C chord and D chord very challenging; especially switching between C and D chords. Any suggestions?

I think Anders is great, but i'm not getting any instruction on how to read music. Just seems like a missed opportunity not to teach a new student how to read music while they are also learning the associated strings and chords.

Should I be watching tutorials from another instructor? Ideas?

Just a tip on how your think about guitar; the problem is not the chord change, it's how familar you are with the chords. The more comfortable you are with the chord itself, the easier any change will be.

Get used to holding that chord (ie - C chord) all by itself. Hold that chord and just strum away. Hold the D and just strum away. Get used to holding that chord.

That skill will aways help you as a guitar player. I've been learning more Steely Dan lately and the Dan like them some funky chords. I've been playing a long time but still use this technique to get myself used to a new chord shape I may never have used.

Heck, I was recently (re)learning the correct way to play Free-Alright Now (thank you Tim Pierce) and the second chord that Tim always played incorrectly, I did too. Funny thing, the correct chord isn't that hard but I'm so used to playing it the wrong way that my brain won't make the shift to the correct way. So I just drill a little on that second chord a bit all by itself.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.