View post (Laminate guitar)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
05/08/2022 9:33 pm
Originally Posted by: geary34

I am playing a very old Fender F-35 all laminate acustic guitar. It has a very tiny sound to it. I took it to a guitar tech who did a basic setup, lowered the action and put on 11 guage Elixir phosphorus bronze strings. Easier to play but very little change to the sound. Is there any particular type/manufacturer/guage string that could improve the tone or is this just typical of all laminate guitars.

[p]

Is that "tiny" sound as in small, thin, or a typo of 'tinny'?

If you meant tiny, going lighter gauge and coated strings will result in a reduction in projection and volume over heavier gauges on any acoustic guitar. 11s are a pretty light gauge on a Dreadnought, and so will sound comparatively 'thinner' over, e.g. 13s, as a rule. That said, Dreads if sounding a bit thin with the lighter gauge, because of their body size should still put out decent volume with adequate attack IME.[br][br]Which acoustic Elixirs did your "tech" fit in particular? [br][br]OK, we all have our different biases and predilections and OMMV, but from MPE I wouldn't fit Elixir Nano-nonsense coated strings to anything, electric or acoustic. My least 'loved' (that's a euphemisim for DETESTED) strings/brand. However Elixir manufacture whether it's their metallurgy or method, in conjunction with those Nano coatings it renders their strings dull sounding to my ear even when new, and so slippery to bend they feel like they have been sprayed with silicon! Worst of all they are so hard on the fingers, comparatively they feel like I'm fretting twisted steel towing cable! Just ugh! Elixir Nanos come fitted OEM factory default on Revstars, and they are the only thing I change or would ever want to about those guitars.[br][br]If I might suggest? Try a set of uncoated D'Addario EJ16 12s or EJ17 13s in conjunction with a heavier pick e.g. Dunlop nylon 1.2 or Jazz III 1.38 plus more attack and the result should come closer to meeting with your prominent volume expectation. Perhaps even a set of EJ13s and see how they work out if you can't abide the heavier gauges. [br][br]To my ears all else remaining equal a solid wood top (soundboard) is more about tone than outright volume assuming the laminate spruce top is all spruce but merely multi-layered. The exception obvious to my ears that I have experienced is anything with fibreboard/chipboard in the body will sound dead regardless what you do with it. Yes, they actually make cheapo guitars with this stuff, but they'll ordinarily be covered in paint whether black or a sunburst. And no, TMK (?) the Fender F-35 wasn't manufactured with that stuff.[br][br]FWIW I have a laminated spruce top Dread, (D'Addario EJ16 12s fitted) and there's absolutely nothing "tiny" about either its volume or projection. Tone is most pleasing too, but inarguably it wouldn't win a tone contest vs a $2000+ solid wood guitar with a prestige label, nor would I expect it to.[br][br]If having tried the above string suggestions and you still don't find the sound to your liking, as Moe suggests, plenty of awesome yet affordable e.g. Yamaha FG830, and not so affordable path options.[br][br]GL with it all, and above all else, enjoy yourself.