Greetings from a guitar newbie from GA!

Brandonlee3
Brandonlee3
04/26/2022 4:19 pm

Hello everyone! My name is Brandon and I just started a membership to this site in order to learn the guitar at the age of 41. Learning to play has been a lifelong dream of mine. My father plays bass and my uncle also plays classical guitar. However, both live on the other side of the country so learning from them is impossible. When I was a kid, I would pick up my dad's bass and hold it left-handed, even though I do most everything else (besides shoot) right-handed. It just felt more natural to me. I recently stumbled upon a Yamaha FG820L (left-handed model) for a very cheap price so I took the plunge and bought it. So far it has been fun starting out, up until I started working on my C and D chords. My fingers aren't necessarily too short (my middle finger measures about 4.5" long) - it's just getting them to stretch to fret the note properly has been a bit of a struggle. I figured many of you faced this same problem at first so I wanted to ask if anyone had any tips to help in this area. I know it's going to just be a matter of waiting it out and practicing to develop those muscles and strech those fingers but I wanted to see if anyone had any tips on stretches and exersises to assist me. Thanks for any help or tips you all can provide and I look forward to this journey!

# 1
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
04/26/2022 10:04 pm

Welcome!

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.