Another old first timer

alanjames286
alanjames286
04/12/2022 11:16 pm

Hey guys. I finally got up in age enough (55) that I have some time to do things. I have made the decision to learn guitar. I bought the cheapest acoustic on amazon and am practicing every day. I watch some of these folks on youtube that can play pretty good after just a couple of weeks but that isnt me. I'm about 30% onn fundamentals 1. I'm having fun learning that is for sure. I lookk forward to reading posts on this forum and learning from guidance here too.

# 1
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
04/13/2022 7:04 am

Hey Alan,

Realize that most of the people that you're watching on YouTube probably are not learning guitar in a systematic comprehensive matter like you're doing with GF 1. I'm pretty sure that most of those overnight rock stars simply learned to parrot back a few licks on YouTube and stitched them together to create something flashy. And that's likely all they'll ever be capable of doing. You on the other hand, are laying the early foundations for truly learning the guitar and being able to do so much more than imitate others.

Also, doing the core curriculum tutorials can get very frustrating and even leave beginners (like me) feeling hopeless about ever learning to play. From what I've been able to distill from this forum that's something that happens to just about everyone. One word of advice: Don't get caught up in trying to keep up with the instructors in those 'play along with the music' lessons. They're professional guitar players who are playing those tracks at a rate that's comfortable for them, not you.

Use the rate tabs to the left of the video screen to dial down the video playback rate to a point where you can focus on technique. Right now, it's much more important for you to learn proper technique and avoid developing bad habits. Absolutely do NOT fall into the trap of refusing to move on to subsequent lessons until you've mastered each lesson. That's a death sentence. You can always circle back and work on speed after you've finished the course.

Nicolai

# 2
alanjames286
alanjames286
04/13/2022 9:48 pm

thanks for the advice. I dont have the issue of "not moving on". I have to fight the inclination of trying go through the courses too quickly. MY plan is to complete GF1 with Anders and then repeat GF1 with Lisa. That will give me the same info twice and also twice the practice time.

# 3
brencross212
brencross212
04/13/2022 10:03 pm

Hi Alan and welcome.

It is great that you are taking up learning the guitar, as it is very good for your brain health and it is really fun! Just enjoy the process and don't compare yourself to others. You can certainly do this!

Nicolai is spot on! I know people who can only play a few songs they learned, and only in the key they learned it in and then maybe a few riffs here and there!

With this program, you learn the actual fundamentals and that will take your farther on the journey!

I also agree with Nicolai that you don't have to master each section, You can move forward and come back needed!

Also, look through the song section, they have some super easy ones that you can give a try, while you work through the fundamentals!

How do you like your guitar? I am not familiar with the amazon guitars, but I do know that having a guitar that fits you and is set up well can make a world of difference!

Glad your here and look forward to hearing about your progress!

# 4
brencross212
brencross212
04/13/2022 10:03 pm

Hi Alan and welcome.

It is great that you are taking up learning the guitar, as it is very good for your brain health and it is really fun! Just enjoy the process and don't compare yourself to others. You can certainly do this!

Nicolai is spot on! I know people who can only play a few songs they learned, and only in the key they learned it in and then maybe a few riffs here and there!

With this program, you learn the actual fundamentals and that will take your farther on the journey!

I also agree with Nicolai that you don't have to master each section, You can move forward and come back needed!

Also, look through the song section, they have some super easy ones that you can give a try, while you work through the fundamentals!

How do you like your guitar? I am not familiar with the amazon guitars, but I do know that having a guitar that fits you and is set up well can make a world of difference!

Glad your here and look forward to hearing about your progress!

# 5
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/14/2022 8:53 pm

Welcome, Alan!!!!

Congratulations on making the decision to learn guitar.

You have come to the right place!

Have fun![br]-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 6
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
04/18/2022 12:33 am

Welcome Alan!

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.