View post (Frozen Vienna sausage fingers)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
04/21/2022 2:00 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcat

Although hardly shabby in the first instance, replacing tone and or volume pots, capacitors, tuning mechs, nuts, saddles or the entire bridge are other ways I improve originals playability and tones without overcapitalising on the original instrument in the unlikely event I should come to sell it.

[/quote]

Good point, Any really, with too many alterations, at what point does it become a different guitar?

I'm in a Strat Facebook group and some guys will post about a score on a Squire on the cheap but want to do big changes to it. Cool, you got a deal and want to make it your own. I get that 'overhaul' scenario. There are guys that get a $1500 Fender Strat and start looking at the pickup market to changes. Why? Did you get the wrong guitar for your tastes but spent $1500? That's a head scratcher.

My goal, thus far, is to make the guitar more of what it's intended to be. When I did the pickup swap on my ES, it had those horrible Gibson 490 series pickups (horrible at least for an ES-style). So, I went with Alnico II's to mellow out the instrument. Before the swap, I never plugged it in but liked playing it. But days like yesterday, I plugged 'er in and had a grand time. Right decision to match the guitar to the pickup. That's always my goal.

My Les Paul as Gibson a 57/57+ set and exactly what I want. It's part of the reason I wanted this instrument. I may change out the wiring harness which currently has the circuit board, push-pull contraption. Not overly usable and I have other guitars that do what the pots/board do now. Something a little more standard, old school. Not sure. New nut is definately in order.

Originally Posted by: manXcat

I tend to prethink my needs, wants, desires long before that buy button is pressed such that by that time a long cooldown period has had ample time to excise momentary lust or infatuation

[/quote]

Yep. When your wife says; would you buy it already!! ...maybe I go overboard on that. But it has scored me some deals...

[quote=manXcat]

What does your current Les Paul weigh?

While not an official weight (since it's the bathroom scale of me without, then with the guitar) but she pretty much comes in at a little over 10lbs (US). Traditional's weight range is nine to somewhere over ten. I think I'm on the high end of that. I should clarify that while I said there's is no weight relief, that's not toally true, it just not gutted out and, I think, a few holes in the rear bout, if I recall my understanding of Gibson weight systems.

[quote=manXcat]

Do you (A) ever play seated with it, and if/when you do, (i) with a strap thigh style or (ii) 'centred' supported between the legs posture as always used by Andy self-illustrative here, common practice when seated with many LP players I've noted.

Strap, always. Seated or standing. Les Paul is no exception.

I pretty much always have since my early days in the 80's. I just found it easier to get it where I wanted it. Below, you'll see all my guitars are 'strap-ready'. I can just grab off the wall and play. I also like to match straps to the guitar as best I can (go Planet Waves woven!). I'm taller (6'00") with a little longer torso and I find I would hunch over the guitar too much.

Side note, the Shut Up & Play video you linked, that is almost exactly my first guitar/Les Paul. Even down to the little toggle by the pots. The toggle for mine was a phase switch that got you a little twank or Peter Green (though when I got my guitar back then, I didn't realize that). I do check out that YT channel but the first time I saw a video with that guitar I nearly soiled myself it was so close to my original '68 Deluxe. Mine was a little more brown/walnut-y and had a tiny chip out of the 12th fret inlay.

Strap ready for action! (still gotta get the print hung up behond the chair....)