View post (Frozen Vienna sausage fingers)

View thread

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/20/2022 2:10 pm

I use the 'centered between legs' position exclusively and have for a very long time. I have a few posts describing how I came to use my 'modified classical' position to accommodate my Martin D-35 which felt too big for me to use in the way currently taught by virtually all, non-classical instructors including those here at GT.

In my journey I came to a conclusion that, just maybe, position has to do with current style or tradition as much as it does comfortable playing. Take a look at guitarists, way back in recording history and into the mid-60's... most times the guitar is centered, often very high, in front of the player. It seemed to me that sometime after the start of the British Invasion guitar positon style changed.

I'm not sure it makes much difference except when finding a comfortable way to hold a guitar. I think my reach improves a little bit with the modified classical position but not enough to argue about. The main thing... the big D-35 I love so much is very much playable 'centered between legs.'

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins