Intervals in scales

dtl72
Full Access
dtl72
Full Access
04/03/2022 3:56 am

In rock fundamemtals tutorial on scales intervals 3rds, 4ths, 5ths 6ths etc and how to improvise with them. The instructor is not clear on where he is always starting the scale in relation to the interval note. He only mentions that the interval is 5 notes away for example from where he starts but he is not always clear where he starts. When he demonstrates his improvisation with the 6ths notes for example, he is not clear on where the 6th notes are in relation to where he starts. It seems he is leaving something out. This tutorial was very confusing. The conept is understood but it was demonstrated in a very confusing manner. Can anyone help clarify?

# 1
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
04/03/2022 8:42 am

Which tutorial is it and who teaches it? It sound a bit like Chris Schlegel's Guitar Fundamentals 2 course but he doesn't do any "Rock Fundamentals" tutorials that I know of. It's probably one of Anders' tutorials. Are you perhaps referring to a rock related tutorial in "Guitar Fundaments"? Or is it the "Advanced Rock" branch of the core curriculum?

I know it's confusing so just do this: Go to the lesson that you're referring to, copy the link address, then post that link here, either in plain text or imbed it using the "Insert/edit Link" button at the top of the editing window. That way people will be able to help you.

Nicolai

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/03/2022 2:30 pm

I'm assuming you are referring to this lesson.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=21270&s_id=1703

Originally Posted by: dtl72

The instructor is not clear on where he is always starting the scale in relation to the interval note. He only mentions that the interval is 5 notes away for example from where he starts but he is not always clear where he starts.[/quote]

[p]It's going to be very helpful to be able to visualize all the scale intervals across the fretboard for this kind of lick or lesson. In that lesson Anders is using the D minor scale. These are the intervals available in that part of the fretboard:

I've colored in the intervals of 6ths in the patterns used in that lesson.

The first lick starts on the 5th. Start going up the D minor scale, including the note you are starting on.

a(5) - b-flat (6) - c (7) - d (1) - e (2) - f(3)

So the interval between "a to f" in the D minor scale is a 6th. Because you started on the 5th of the scale & counted up 6 scale degree notes to the 3rd. Remember when you are counting scale degrees you have to include the note you start on. So you get 6 notes. Those are the "yellow pair".

Likewise for the "red pair".

g(4) - a(5) - b-flat (6) - c (7) - d (1) - e (2)

And the "blue pair".

f(3) - g(4) - a(5) - b-flat (6) - c (7) - d (1)

It's the exact same conceptual intervals approach for the next lick. But since it's played in the octave lower the fretboard pattern looks a little different. But as you can see, learning to visual the scale patterns in intervals will make this much easier.

I cover visualizing the minor scale in various integrated patterns that cover the fretboard in these tutorials.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2646

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=30587&s_id=370

Also, if it helps, I cover harmony guitar parts in 6ths in a minor key in this lesson. I include a discussion of the scale intervals.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=25503&s_id=2121

[quote=dtl72]It seems he is leaving something out.

The information you are looking for is the scale intervals & degrees.

Hope this helps!

edited
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
heritageericsson
heritageericsson
04/12/2023 3:01 am

In his demonstrations of his improvisatory prowess, he often uses 6ths notes without letting on how far down the sequence he really is. There seems to be a hole in his reasoning. This was a very hard directive to carry out. The explanation of the concept was clear, but the illustration was confusing. Anyone can provide some light on this situation? 

phrazle

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.