View post (Getting off on the right foot)

View thread

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/03/2022 1:25 am

I went back and edited the line about my guitar that Johnny Winter once played. That edit kinda messes up the quote you posted above. The change doesn't mean a thing... until one starts comparing sentences.

Yup. The tidal wave swept quickly over the U.S. too. Sullivan, seeing what was happening in Britain, got the Beatles on his show shortly after a Washington D.C. DJ (Caroll James) started playing their music. James had a stewardess friend bring some from England after a teen girl listener had asked him to play some... what was happening in the UK had been news for some time by then. For a while, James had credit for being the first in the U.S. to play their records and he certainly kicked off the U.S. frenzy. It was because of that DJ's actions that D.C. got the first U.S. concert and Caroll James was its 'host' and that girl who lived a few blocks from me got to hang with James and the band before the concert.

The record company (Columbia?) had been stockpiling albums in advance in their plan to flood the country on their own timing. The hysteria that followed the DJ's playing forced the company to release the records earlier than their best laid plans.

It was a fun time.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins