View post (Builing Chords - finger at a time vs drop all)

View thread

aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/19/2022 10:35 pm

Hi, my name is Nicolai. I'm obviously not Anders, but as a physician I think that I can offer you some useful info. First of all, that's an interesting question that's worth discussing. Try to think about this problem from a psychological and neurological perspective. Each time you perform a new motor task that your brain is not familiar with, it starts rerouting signals and reassigning neurons in order to learn the task; learn it so well that you can eventually perform it without having to consciously think about it. This is a process that is commonly, and unfortunately, referred to as "muscle memory" (muscles don't have the capacity for storage of memories of any kind, but that's another matter).

What do you suppose is the more efficient and effective means of building muscle memory - anchoring one finger correctly on the fretboard and then accurately placing the other fingers into position one by one... or blindly stabbing at the strings with all of your fingers misaligned? Doing the latter doesn't give your brain much useful information with which to memorize the task. In fact, it just confuses your brain.

Just as important are the psychological factors involved in learning. Doing just one portion of a complex motor skill correctly is, consciously or unconsciously, a small win. It's not the grand prize but it's still a win. Stabbing and missing, stabbing and missing is frustrating, demoralizing, and ultimately self-defeating because each of those failed attempts get counted by you (consciously and unconsciously) as a total loss, pure and simple. String enough failures together and you hava a recipie for quitting.

Finally, it wasn't too long ago that I was in your shoes, groping for a C chord. Because it made more sense to me, I chose the "one finger at a time" technique, And I mean literally one finger at a time. I first practiced just dropping the index finger correctly onto the B string first fret, over and over without worrying about the other fingers. Once I could do that consistently and easily I started adding fingers, one at a time. Rinse and repeat. Eventually I was able to do this faster and faster until it just blended together into one reliable and correctly executed movement. But that took time and repetition.... and a whole lot of small wins.

Hope that helps.

Nicolai