View post (Picks, arthritis, and the universe)

View thread

martin.bayly
Full Access
martin.bayly
Full Access
03/13/2022 4:12 am

I also used Dava picks for a long while because I had a real hard time feeling like I had a secure grip on any other styles of picks. I was using the yellow ones with the black grips for a a few years and thought they were just amazing and couldn't understand why everyone wasn't using them :-)[br][br]However in the last 6-12 months I've started to switch to other styles of more traditional picks. [br][br]It started because I had some picks that I picked up at a Colin James concert many years ago as a souvenir. But I finally decided to try them out. They are also unlike anything else I'd tried. They are the hard, acrylic style picks but they are very slightly concave, and so they kind of suck on to your thumb and so are also really easy to keep hold of.[br][br]And then around December I was picking up a rental guitar on the way to pick up my daughter from the airport, and was expecting to have to wait around for her flight to arrive and had forgotten to bring a pick to try out the new rental in the car while I waited. So I bought a pack of Dunlop Gator Grip picks just to try them out. And now they've become my new fav pick. A year ago I could never have considered using such a hard, traditional pick, so I guess over time you just get more comfortable with different styles.[br][br]I'm not sure if this is just the way these Gator picks are made or if I've just been playing a lot because I've actually worn the tip right down on a couple of them already. Which is just unheard of for me. I could never really understand why you'd ever need more than one pick provided you don't lose it! (Even though I have lots because I seem to just keep buying more and more).[br][br]Martin