View post (FAQ Please)

View thread

snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
03/10/2022 3:36 pm

I have to say that the personal touch, is a big part of GT's appeal. They seem to understand that the personal conection is a big help for folks frustrated with learning the arcane art of making music. An art that has traditionaly been taught in person, not by computer. For all the repetition of the same questions, I also see many people praising the fact that, in the end, there is a human being they can talk to.... not a long list of FAQs that don't address what they see their poblem as. We all know that learning music is hard.

I am astonished at how well the instructors address these questions. Despite the fact that they have already addressed the questions in lessons and email responses, they take the time to explain stuff to students. They are exceptional at this process. When I read their responses I don't find repeative pablum, I find serious musicians who are ready, willing and able to provide hand holding to help newbies who are overwhelmed.

When I consider how convoluted much of music is and how wide ranging it is in its pursuit of individual expression, I don't see anything that could replace the human touch when teaching beginners. I have been making music for decades and still I find myself stumped by seemingly controdictory explinations I find in music theory (like which way is up on the fretboard?). If I am still stumped, after all these years... I am sure newbies feel like deer caught in the headlights.

These instructors are clearly artists at communication. Which should not surprise us. After all, why do people play music, if not to communicate feelings. These instructors are artists not only on the fretboard, but in the art of education.

Captcha is a total pain in the........