Practice with a partner

cigaris07
cigaris07
03/05/2022 9:06 am

Hi everyone. I am a bit of a novice playing for a year and a half now. I get together with a neighbor who is more experienced and is showing me tips to play. I am looking for an exercise we both could do to keep it interesting. Any songs we could both play would also be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

# 1
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
03/05/2022 3:47 pm

You are on the right track, finding someone to play music with!! I really don't know much about the songs that are taught on GT. That was not what I came here looking for. However I do know that finding people to play music with, is proably the best way to sustain your long term interest in playing guitar. Loosing inerita is the biggest reason people stop playing guitar. Musical partners are a great antidote for that pit fall. Nobody wants to let their friends down...especially when playing muisic with them is so much fun. I think that is called the carrot AND the stick approach. It works!

I have no doubt that people will come on here soon and provide you with directions to finding material that you and your neighbor can play together. I know that my musical journey would have never progressed beyond the sore fingers part, without having musical friends. Music is a social practice. We all get by "with a little help from our friends".

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 2
mjgodin
mjgodin
03/05/2022 4:17 pm

Since your a novice I'd say any of the made easy versions of songs on here would be a good start. To make it interesting with your musical partner you could play the open chords as tabbed out and he or she could play same chords but in different voicings or even in different keys via a capo. Might come up with some interesting sounds there.

Another option could be one of you play the chords and the other play along with single note melody.

Have fun,

Moe

# 3
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
03/05/2022 6:18 pm

Playing with others is a lot of fun. I let them lead the way. At times I feel over my head but that is the best way to learn. The guys you are playing with will help you fix your mistakes.

In terms of songs, hard to say. Depends on what you all like and what you can play. And if you have to leave a section out because you can't make the chord, don't worry about it. Jump back in when you can. They won't stop playing. It's all supposed to be fun. A great time to have a few drinks and chuckles with your buddies.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 4
cigaris07
cigaris07
03/05/2022 9:52 pm

Thank you all for the advice and encouragement!

we will be meeting tomorrow so I am going to research today.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.