Humbucker 'Dance'

rmowens1977
rmowens1977
03/02/2022 5:23 am

Greetings,

So I am extrraordinarily excited that I 'coughed up the loot' for an Epi 1959 LP Standard. I'm loving it. However, one concernI have is as follows: the Neck humbucker (which, along with the bridge are Gibson USA Burstbuckers!!! ) moves from side to side, such that when I gently press down on it nearest the neck, the rear of the humbucker lifts a bit; likewise, when I press nearest the rear (i.e., closer to the bridge humbucker), the front (nearest the neck) lifts a bit. This does not happen in the bridge humbucker, which is fixed in place. Is this normal? Is this okay? Or should I send it back? Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks all. Rock out!

# 1
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/02/2022 4:42 pm

Hi rmowens, and congrats on the sweet new ride! I'm just learning about humbuckers myself and don't have an answer for you, but you are right to ask about it. You might have better luck posting your question in the "Ask a Guitar Tech" forum for full access subscribers like you. That forum is manned by GT Superhero Steve White, the dedicated GT guitar technician. He's saved my butt a couple of times already. I'm quite certain he will have the answer you seek, along with some suggestions. Keep rockin' it and good luck.

Nicolai

# 2
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
03/02/2022 7:38 pm

Minor rocking movement back and forth of either humbucker when pressed on either side of their pivot is entirely normal. [br][br]From as you describe it, it sounds like the front humbucker has simply been adjusted to sit higher than the rear. Most likely reason, for the purpose of desired/spec string clearance.[br][br]Under their aesthetic plastic frame cover, humbuckers are located in situ by being secured to the body by bolt which passes through a metal tab on each side of the humbucker baseplate. Under this, between the tab and the guitar body is a tension spring. Humbucker height is raised or lowered and leveled axially across the strings by loosening or tightening the bolts, which subsequently reduces or increases spring tension. [br][br]If the humbucker is adjusted to sit quite high from the body the spring tension will be low and the humbucker will more easily be rocked back and forth around that pivot when pressed with a finger. Otherwise it's a static object unless that force is applied which doesn't occur in playing.[br][br]Sounds like your rear humbucker has most likely been adjusted to sit closer to the body with a subsequent higher spring tension preventing it from being as easily rocked around that same pivot. I suspect that if you press it as you do the neck, perhaps wilth a little more applied force, you will actually see some movement even if miniscule. [br][br]If both are properly adjusted within string clearance spec or optimised for pickup input characteristics, it's fine. [br][br]Was the guitar given a pre-delivery setup by the dealer, or is it OOTB ex-factory? [br][br]If in doubt, take it to your guitar tech/luthier and have the pickup to string clearances checked for spec. and tweaked to optimum by ear for desired response.[br][br]Congrats on your new axe.

# 3
rmowens1977
rmowens1977
03/04/2022 4:33 am

Thanks for your thorough explanation manXcat (btw, funny name!). The guitar was purchased through Sam Ash, meaning I was calling them to find out if they had the guitar in stock (before making the trip to play it and potentially purchase it), and the gentleman said they do, but it's a floor model. However, he also added that I could order it over the phone and it would arrive at my home from their factory/distribution center in Long Island City, NY. I asked if it came directly from the Epiphone factory (in China?) and he said it did. So, to answer your question -- albeit in a roundabout way -- it was probably OOTB ex-factory. Thanks again!

# 4
rmowens1977
rmowens1977
03/04/2022 4:34 am

Nikolai, thanks for your advise. Much appreciated!

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.