Back at 71 Years Old!

ricka47
ricka47
02/25/2022 12:14 pm

I first was a member here in 2013 when I bought a Gibson LP 60s Tribute. But, a few years ago, I sold it to concentrate more on bass, which I play at church along with drums. But, last week, I picked up a guitar that belonged to a friend and decided that I really needed to get back.

I've played guitar since the middle 60s, and my first electric was a Harmony Bobkat which I should have kept as it is worth a few bucks now. But, I took about 40 years off from guitar to work, teach, go to grad school, have a family, and stuff like that.

Since I have wanted a Strat since I was 16 and, at 71, I decided to go for it. It should be here early next week. You can see it in my avatar. I also re-joined Guitar Tricks and plan to get back to learning!

Rick Abshier[br]___________________________

Fender HSS MIM Stratocaster

Schecter Stiletto-5 Session Bass

# 1
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
02/25/2022 6:07 pm

Welcome aboard Rick !

Plenty of people in here with a similar story, me included. Life sure has a way of interrupting one's guitar journey.

Sweet Strat you have en route. I like the HSS pickup choice.

Nicolai

# 2
Jim Stanford
Jim Stanford
03/11/2022 11:41 pm
Originally Posted by: ricka47

I first was a member here in 2013 when I bought a Gibson LP 60s Tribute. But, a few years ago, I sold it to concentrate more on bass, which I play at church along with drums. But, last week, I picked up a guitar that belonged to a friend and decided that I really needed to get back.

I've played guitar since the middle 60s, and my first electric was a Harmony Bobkat which I should have kept as it is worth a few bucks now. But, I took about 40 years off from guitar to work, teach, go to grad school, have a family, and stuff like that.

Since I have wanted a Strat since I was 16 and, at 71, I decided to go for it. It should be here early next week. You can see it in my avatar. I also re-joined Guitar Tricks and plan to get back to learning!

Welcome back then, young fella. (I'm 65, but we're still young, right?)

Glad to have you with us.

# 3
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/12/2022 1:36 am

Hey kid, I recently started back up again after numerous failed attempts, and at age 60 I'm enjoying the ride more than ever before, due in large part to all the awesome tutorials, staff guidance and member input that I've received. So you've definitely come back to the right place.... but I imagine that you already know that.

And Jim, I can't get images of your paisley guitar out of my head. Hope it plays as good as it looks :)

Nicolai

# 4
Jim Stanford
Jim Stanford
03/12/2022 4:17 pm
Originally Posted by: aliasmaximus

And Jim, I can't get images of your paisley guitar out of my head. Hope it plays as good as it looks :)

Nicolai

Today will be the first day since it arrived on Monday that I will get to touch it. I've been working my job like a madman all week, so today that guitar gets some TLC in the form of a string change, intonation and set up check, and then some alone time getting to know one another... should be a good day. LOL.

Solo aka Jim (old motorcycle handle until recently when I sold the OTHER Harley brand)

# 5
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/14/2022 4:08 pm

Woo hoo, welcome back, everyone! The guitar can give us joy and keep us company at any age. Your guitar loves to be played, and has no opinions about age!

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.