The Stones

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
02/16/2022 7:20 pm

Some background here. Growing up in the 70s before streaming, my music budget was limited to what my paper route would allow. At $7.29 per album, I could buy a new album every 8 weeks or so. Maybe longer depending on how many chocolate bars had to be bought and consumed. It was all a matter of balancing priorities.

Any my listening priorities where in order:

Alice Cooper

Kiss

AC/DC

There were others, like Ted Nugent, Rush etc, but mostly I wanted my top 3 bands.

So I never really got into the Stones - for no other reason than I was caught up in my top 3 and had to be careful with how I spent my money. I recall very well the frustration in buying an album because of 1 song and finding the rest of the tracks meaningless to me. And no refunds back in the day.

But lately I decided to dig into the Stones. I downloaded and listened to each album. The discography tells quite a story. From early covers to albums with covers and a few originals I could hear the development of the band. And what a band it is.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 1
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
02/17/2022 12:18 am

Better late than never.

They take a bit of a dive with some of their 80s stuff, but only for a while before going back up again.

They're also something else live, so try to find some concert footage if you can.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 2
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
02/17/2022 12:59 am

I forget the name of the video, but there is a Stones movie that is sort of Unplugged. I Think it was called Rolling Stones / Stripped. It is the best Stones movie I ever saw. They play stuff from through out their entire career. From accoustic to full blown Rock Monster. I love the Stones and I loved this movie. I don't think that I would have survived the 60s and 70s without the Stones. In fact I still get chills from when I hear [u]Give Me Shelter[/u] or [u]Sympathy for the Devil![/u]

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 3
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
02/17/2022 2:42 am

Isn't it great? I was like you; limited funds. Now with streaming (plus more money) I can go back and find "new" groups from the 60s/70s.

# 4
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
02/17/2022 12:28 pm
Originally Posted by: snojones

I forget the name of the video, but there is a Stones movie that is sort of Unplugged. I Think it was called Rolling Stones / Stripped. It is the best Stones movie I ever saw. They play stuff from through out their entire career. From accoustic to full blown Rock Monster. I love the Stones and I loved this movie. I don't think that I would have survived the 60s and 70s without the Stones. In fact I still get chills from when I hear [u]Give Me Shelter[/u] or [u]Sympathy for the Devil![/u]

I am going to have to look for that.

What I found most surprising, is I had the impression that Brian Jones was the creative brains of the early Stones, but the facts don't back this up. Mick and Keith are the song writers and have been. So there seems to be a myth built up over Jones and what he actually contributed to the band.

# 5
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
02/17/2022 1:16 pm

He played lead guitar and came up with most of the licks, solo's, etc

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 6
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
02/17/2022 2:05 pm
Originally Posted by: DraconusJLM

He played lead guitar and came up with most of the licks, solo's, etc

That clarifies what he did, thanks.

So Keith has always been rhythm?

# 7
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
02/17/2022 2:28 pm
Originally Posted by: William MG

So Keith has always been rhythm?

Pretty much, but it's wayyyyyy beyond the basics

# 8
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
02/17/2022 3:28 pm

Brian was critical in the formation and development of the Stones. He put the group together. He was a multi instrumental savant. He seemed to be able to pick up any instrument and make it sing. This added a great deal of interest to the early Stones blues cover status. This helped Mick and Kieth by allowing them to grow as writters at the same time enjoyed finacial success as preformers. The success with original material would have never been possible if the band had fizzled out at the cover band stage of development. Brian helped them grow as a band and that made time for the Jagger/ Richards juggernaught to evolve. Like so many, smack first took his tallents and then his life.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 9
Tinpan
Full Access
Tinpan
Full Access
02/17/2022 7:59 pm

check this out for some tasty Keith lead. He just heard his son died and went out and played. Lot of feeling .

[br]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LccHj9FUCAM

# 10
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
02/19/2022 1:05 pm
Originally Posted by: Tinpan

check this out for some tasty Keith lead. He just heard his son died and went out and played. Lot of feeling .

[br]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LccHj9FUCAM

A great performance, thanks for this

# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.