View post (Acoustic Warriors - Give 10 Gauge A Try)

View thread

GordonAll
Full Access
GordonAll
Full Access
01/28/2022 4:11 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65

The first caveat I need to state; I went from some old tired strings to new strings, so the sound brightened up nicely. Meaning that could taint my assessment.

That being said, I really like the sound of these strings. Quite a lot. Even when new, the Elixirs I had on the Taylor didn't really do it for me. Like everyone, there's a sound in your head for how you want that something to sound. The Elixir's never did that even with a new set. But, it's what Taylor had on their guitars new so I figured there must be a reason.

Nope...

For lack of a better way to put it, the heavier guage seems a little too heavy and dull sounding. These strings seem to have a bit more life but without being too brassy or ringy. Kinda like they breathe more. More balanced sounding to my old, tinnitus-laden ears anyway.

It must be a tinnitus thing Jeff; I tried a number of Phosphor Bronze gauge options but couldn't get rid of that brassy (almost harsh) sound from the bass strings, eventually switched to silk & Steel (D'Addario EJ40's, 11-47) & fell in love! Got them on my Faith Blood Moon Venus, Washburn D10SCE, & Taylor Mini GS. I thought they might flap about with the lack of tension on the short scale Mini GS but they sound ace, the only (slight) negative I've found with the short scale is holding the tuning - regularly adjusting.

Cheers,

Gordon