View post (Acoustic Warriors - Give 10 Gauge A Try)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
01/26/2022 8:09 pm

So, after waiting months upon months, my lazy self decided to go ahead and switch my acoustic to a new gauge strings. And I love it!

My Taylor came from the factory with Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze Mediums (13-56), and I kinda always hated them. They always felt too stiff and were very much broken in (I almost never break strings and these were much, much broken in). Recently, it got to the point where I just didn't really want to play the acoustic.

But, I'd long planned to change to a different gauge but never got around to it. Until last weekend.

I did the swap to Ernie Ball Earthwood Silk and Steel Extra Soft (10, 14, 20, 28, 40, 50). I love these strings. The lighter gauge is so much more enjoyable to play. When you change to a different gauge, you have to make sure you do the proper setup for that guage so I did some very minor truss adjustments and she was ready to roll.

I post this as many folks ask about learning or playing on acoustic. As a player of many decades, It's not that I couldn't play on a heavier gauge string most common on acoustic guiatars, I just no longer wanted to. Something to consider if you take the acoustic path and if you're in the beginning phase, will help a lot. It may require a setup at first but if I had to pay for a setup with the change, I would have been happy to. Fortunately, I can mostly do my own.

Anyway, my thought on that subject.