Finally decided on lessons!

sixgearz
sixgearz
01/16/2022 5:49 pm

Hi folks, my name is Charlie and I'm from Morristown, NJ. After a roughly 50 year hiatus I returned to guitar playing. I played as a young teenager and briefly in my 20's. Never had instruction at the time, used an old 'family' arch top until I bought a horrible hollow body and a Fender Champ. Learned most on my own with the help of a well-off friend who had a Stratocaster.

About 3 years ago I felt the need to make music I could hear other than in my head. (not original, I think I have a permanent ear worm playing the music I like). I was going to try to learn piano but after some inquiry I decided to go back to an old friend.

I bought a Yamaha Dreadnought but after about 2 weeks found it to be too big for me and I didn't like the neck, since one skill I resurrected right away was my love of barre chords. I traded that for a basic Epiphone 'package' with a small amp. That one was an improvement but I was not in love with the sound from both the guitar and the very basic amp. I then traded setup for an Ibanez Artcore which I loved, and bought a Fender Mustang 25. Hooray! I finally had reverb!!! Thanks to the amp's deal, I enrolled in the Fender Play program and stuck with it for about 3 months.

I thought that beautiful guitar would be 'it' for me, but the more I played and listened, I realized that guitar was not capable of the sound I craved. I listened, watched dozens of guitar comparisons and realized when I practice I wanted to hear the sound of a Strat or Tele. I took the Ibanez with me and even though I was scared to death of playing (and messing up) in public with other much better players around, I tried a number of guitars, settling on the Stratocaster line. At that point I discussed a trade with them and after they told me a number I decided I could afford a Player Strat. I did want a Mexican one. I played 4, all but one the same model in 4 different colors. There was a white one there, that they told me had just come in that day. It was the last one I tried, and it had exactly that Strat sound I wanted, more so than the others.

I've been loving it since I got it about a month ago and I do feel like I'm progressing because of it. However, I also know my limitations, and needed some kind of structure. Since I'd done extensive research in the past, I had only 2 choices, Justin or Guitar tricks. After trying lessons in both, I'm now here and excited about finding my niche.

Thanks for reading, I already have a couple of questions that I will post in another thread.

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
01/19/2022 12:13 am

Welcome to the Guitar Tricks forum! Here you will find other students and instructors to chat with and ask questions. Enjoy the program!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.