Weird/Painful Callus

snpfarm
snpfarm
01/02/2022 5:15 pm

Back in June of 2021 I picked up my guitar again after a long time away. I'm familiar with building calluses and what it takes to get them. Here the past few months Ive been playing/practicing at least an hour if not longer. I will say that this time around its taking me longer to build up really good calluses.Even now they're not where I think they should be. Maybe it's because I'm almost 60 years old now??

Anyway, Here recently Ive noticed a painful spot on my middle finger. The best way I can describe its appearance is that it looks like a small dent in the tip of my finger. Its painfull to put pressure on that "dent" whether it be on a string or my pushing it against any surface. Ive also noticed that after playing that spot looks yellow. Ill try to post a picture.

Curious if anyone else has experienced this and if so what did you do to get rid of it. Not sure if its an age thing like I mentioned above??

This trying to get my left hand and right hand to work together is driving me crazy!

# 1
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
01/02/2022 7:22 pm

I've had similar callouses on two fingers. I filed them down over a period of a couple of weeks and have had no problems since then.

I've also come to the conclusion that washing pots a couple of times a day does wonders for keeping fingertip callouses in a great condition.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 2
snpfarm
snpfarm
01/02/2022 8:09 pm
Originally Posted by: DraconusJLM

I've had similar callouses on two fingers. I filed them down over a period of a couple of weeks and have had no problems since then.

I've also come to the conclusion that washing pots a couple of times a day does wonders for keeping fingertip callouses in a great condition.

Thank goodness!! I thought it was because I was getting old . Yep, Ive used an emory board on my calluses many times. However, I've not tried it yet on this one. Since the actually area is "concave" I really havent considered filing it..but I will now.

Thanks for the input.

This trying to get my left hand and right hand to work together is driving me crazy!

# 3
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
01/02/2022 11:35 pm

Pro tip: if it starts leaking red stuff, then you're overdoing it ;-)

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 4
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
01/03/2022 2:50 am

That's a wart of some sort. I have the exact same thing on my middle finger and my dermatologist said it was a wart. You can put some of that over the counter wart remover on it or try to have it burned off by a dermatologist. I would recommend the over the counter stuff as the dermatologist route didn't quite take in my case. Most is gone but still a little there.

# 5
snpfarm
snpfarm
01/05/2022 4:34 pm
Originally Posted by: davem_or

That's a wart of some sort. I have the exact same thing on my middle finger and my dermatologist said it was a wart. You can put some of that over the counter wart remover on it or try to have it burned off by a dermatologist. I would recommend the over the counter stuff as the dermatologist route didn't quite take in my case. Most is gone but still a little there.

Wart!! I never considered that but based on how things are progessing since I first started this thread the "spot" seems to be slowly disappearing?.?.? Maybe my playing is so bad that I scared the wart away

Thank you for the input.

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.