View post (Understand Major and Minor Pentatonic scales)

View thread

SRVFan2000
SRVFan2000
12/16/2021 5:22 pm

This topic has been a little tricky for me to completely get so any help would be much appreciated.

Perspective of MAJOR:

If I am playing the Datonic E MAJOR (do re mi fa sol la ti)...scale starting with my index finger on fret 12, if I slide down 3 frets and play the 1st Penta shape, I believe this is the E MAJOR PENTA and/or the C#/Db MINOR PENTA scale. I realize that C#/Db (minor penta) is the relative minor of EMaj. Penta. As such, they use the exact same notes/shapes. Only the tonal centers are different (emphasize diffferent notes based on the chord(s) I am chasing.) This seems fairly straightforward.

Perspective of MINOR (were I get confused):

If I am playing E MINOR Penta to something like blues (so a minor progression), I start with my index finger on fret 12 (E) and being shape #1 one and it sounds right.

QUESTIONS:

1. Can I ever play the MAJOR Penta over this and have it sound right? For example, by sliding down 3 frets so now my pinky finger is on the (root) E?

2. Would this be still be considered the E MAJOR Pentatonic or C#/Db Minor Penta and WOULD IT WORK? Since I was already in MINOR, the notes and scale patterns don't really seem to match up. e.g., I was playing pattern 1 of E minor Penta starting at 12. To play E Major Penta, I start the same Penta pattern (shape 1) at C#/Db (pinky on 12.)

My guess is maybe I can't do that. I suppose that Eminor Penta has a relative MAJOR of G...so I should just stick to playing the EMinor/GMajor Penta? I am just confused as I have been conditioned to think in terms of sliding down (towards nut) 3 frets to jump into the Major Penta. In writing out this question, a small, dim light bulb has gone off...still not sure I'm right but...

Apologies if my questions don't make complete sense. I am getting there but not fully grasping how this all fits together.

THANKS!