View post (From scale noodling to melodic musical phrases?)

View thread

paulcavaliere
Full Access
paulcavaliere
Full Access
10/04/2022 9:25 pm
#16 Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

I apologize for not being clear!  Yes, do the tutorials on Basic blues Licks, Bread & Butter Licks & Spiced Up Blues.  Then you can save the Blues Arrangements for later.  I didn't consider that those are also a later part of the overall collection on blues licks. 

Having said all that, you probably could do those arrangement tutorials, then switch to the CAGED tutorials in my list.  It's most important to start building vocabulary.  Then I think once you get some basic licks under your fingers it's important to use them to play music.  And then you can go back to CAGED & fretboard mapping & see how it all works together.  Or you can stop with the licks, work on CAGED & then do the arrangement tutorials.

So, either order is fine.  Some of that is at your discretion.  Whatever you find most interesting at at any point to work on.

Hope that helps!

Hi Christopher,
I'm doing the tutorials in the order that you have recommended.  I've completed Basic blues Licks, Bread & Butter Licks & Spiced Up Blues.  Plus with the Rock course and other song solos I have learned so far, I am comfortable with a basic vocabulary of licks to play.  I am also planning to learn more songs and solos to build my vocabulary further.  So, I understand the path for building a vocabulary.
I've completed CAGED for Rythm Guitar and understand the concepts and can play through it all.

I have completed the Improvisation for Beginners Series.  Before moving on to Improvisation in a Major Key and Minor Key series, I have a few questions.

I understand the three main components to improvising.  1. Identifying and Playing in Key.  2. Targeting Chord Tones 3.  Playing melodies.

I don't have the notes on the fretboard internalized.  That is, I can identify the notes and find the notes on each string, but it takes a bit to do the math.  Should I spend more time here?  If so, are there exercises to help me internalize and immediately find the notes.  I'm finding that as I'm going through the tutorials and targeting chord tones, it is helping me remember where the notes are.  The more I do the tutorials, leads me to find the notes faster.

I understand the concept of finding the key signature.  Identify the chords in the chord progression.  Identify the notes in the those chordes (1,3,5).  Right them all down and identify what scale they form.  You state after some practice it's really very simple.  At this point, without referencing a chart, I don't know the 1,3,5 for each chord.  D for example is D, F#, A (I had to look it up).  Then once I right them all down (after referencing a chart) I have to reference another chart to identify the scale they form.  I am missing the link to make this very simple.  Any suggestions?

Thanks, Paul.