View post (From scale noodling to melodic musical phrases?)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/20/2022 11:18 am
#15 Originally Posted by: paulcavaliere

Hi Christopher,

Thanks.  I've finished and comfortable with Blues, Rythym and Lead.  Now, going onto your second recommendation:

Build vocabulary

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/Bread-and-Butter-Butter-Blues-Licks

In that link, it takes me to several library series: "Basic Blues Licks", "Bread and Butter Blues Licks", "Spiced Up Blues" and "Building a Blues Arrangement".

You recommend Building a Blues Arrangement later on, so for now are you suggesting "Bread and Butter Blues Licks"

I apologize for not being clear!  Yes, do the tutorials on Basic blues Licks, Bread & Butter Licks & Spiced Up Blues.  Then you can save the Blues Arrangements for later.  I didn't consider that those are also a later part of the overall collection on blues licks. 

Having said all that, you probably could do those arrangement tutorials, then switch to the CAGED tutorials in my list.  It's most important to start building vocabulary.  Then I think once you get some basic licks under your fingers it's important to use them to play music.  And then you can go back to CAGED & fretboard mapping & see how it all works together.  Or you can stop with the licks, work on CAGED & then do the arrangement tutorials.

So, either order is fine.  Some of that is at your discretion.  Whatever you find most interesting at at any point to work on.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory