View post (From scale noodling to melodic musical phrases?)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/01/2021 12:53 pm
Originally Posted by: bouncee

How to make music or melodic lines? Whn I try to improv it sound like scale drill exercise.[/quote][p]Improvisation consists of 3 steps:

1. Find the key signature (the appropriate scale).

2. Target chord tones.

3. Make musical phrases (melodies).

So finding the scale is just the first step! Then you have to think of interesting things to do with the scale. Just playing it up & down with no rhythmic variation or relation to the chord progression is what makes it sound like an exercise.

Think of what makes a good melody. A line that is sung in a song, or a memorable classical line.

1. Use leaps, not just linear patterns.

2. Use rhythmic variation, not just the same rhythm value all the time.

3. Think of speaking phrases, make a little motif, stop, do a variation on it.

And always look for ways to use the scale to rhythmically emphasize the chord tones of the progression that is happening.

One of the big challenges here is to build a repertiore of licks. A library of things to play you have down so well you can do them automatically. If you listen to any great guitar player they have little phrases & ideas they use & reuse over & again that essentially becomes the essence of their identifiable style.

Learn licks you like, change them around, make them your own.

[quote=bouncee]I mean it is great to learn about intervals and whatever or to know how to play a scale but I can not make music using a scale. It sounds like I am noodling now matter what scale I try.

Learning about scales & intervals is just the first step. Then you have to use that knowledge to learn licks & make your own.

After you learn the alphabet you don't start writing stories with it like:

abcdef, ghijk, lmnop!

Scales are just the raw materials of solos. You have to find something musical to do with them! :)

I cover all this in my collection of tutorials on improvisation.

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/learning-to-improvise

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory