View post (Triads in relation to CAGED and Scales?)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/25/2021 2:56 pm

So you're good on triads now?

Originally Posted by: bouncee

Then thing I think was the take away was that for songs that linger on one chord for several bars they used the triad shape up or down 1 whole step to create some movement rather then static one chord. It became almost melodic.

[/quote]

Anders mentions it in some of his lessons I think. You've got the basic idea: it's done to create some movement, or motion.

Originally Posted by: bouncee

In a blues I know I can slide in "from behind" and that works fine. But I usually slide a half step. Here it was whole step and not sliding but "swapping" back andforth between the new imposed chord and the underlaying chord.

Yes, in blues slide up from half-step below, in jazz slide down from half-step above. It's the same principle: playing a chord near the target chord, then moving to the target chord delays it's arrival adding tension, drama, motion. It's embellishment, ornamentation.

[quote=bouncee]

I couldn't understand why that would work, nor when is the apropriate time to use it or what is available chords to impose over the one static chord underneath....

Why does this work and why does it sound good? Is the answer to that in the scales?

It's appropriate when you desire that sound. You can use a chord in the same key, or simple move chromatically. It's purely an artistic choice.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory