View post (Sore fingertip question)

View thread

revdave10
revdave10
11/10/2021 7:24 pm

I’ve had many on again-off again years playing the guitar, have played bass for the last 30 years — both hobby and professionally, so I know all about finger soreness and building calluses. After a hiatus of 30 years from guitar, I’ve gotten very serious the last 5 months or so with my guitar playing, playing most every day for an hour or so, and doing lessons here. I’ve gotten my calluses established, but here’s the thing: my fingertips hurt All. The. Time. When I I press my fingertips with the pad of my thumb, it feels like I have blisters. When I type (which I do every day for work), it feels like I have blisters, not calluses. Within the last 5 days, I’ve been getting sharp pain, mostly in one small area of my ring finger, but some intermittently in other fingers too — doesn’t matter if I’m playing or not.

What’s going on here? I’ve had finger blisters in the past; I’ve had significant calluses in the past. This time feels very different. I’m now 60 years old. Is it age combined with pressing too hard while fretting? Practicing too long/overworking? Does anyone else have these symptoms? Looking for some input. Thanks.