Always retuning...

cheaviag
cheaviag
11/11/2021 1:48 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcat
Originally Posted by: cheaviagThanks for that, once I found out that 9's were fitted as standard I ordered in a set of D'Addario EXL120-3D Nickel Wound Super Light (9-42), once they've arrived I'll fit them.. and 25 bucks for a set of three is a cheap fix, and will keep the feel that Yamaha intended.

You're most welcome cheaviag.[br][br]Got a pic of your new Pacifica to post?[br][br]Yamaha intended the Pacifica's to be fitted with .9s, which isn't to say you can't fit .8s or .10s if you personally prefer them, or experiment. To start out with however, .9s work, and work very well on that guitar. The nut on the 612V Pacificas is also default cut for .9s. More on that in a moment in the next paragraph. I have tried .10s on Pacificas in a couple of brands, and always went back to 9s. Not because I'm averse to .10s per se as I run .10s on all my short scale guitars and two Teles.[br][br]Yamaha fit a GraphTech nut default to their mid through top level segment Pacificas. Specifially the 311H, 611H, 611V & 612V series. [u]That fitted nut was designed for and manufactured expressly to fit to those current model Yamaha Pacificas and is cut to fit the .9s fitted default OOTB to production units.[/u] Yes, a custom nut along with complete Seymour Duncan pickup fitout and Grover locking tuners in a sub USD$1000 guitar! [br][br]As current Pacifica necks are all the same profile and dimensions, that nut will also fit their lower segment Urea nut fitted Pacificas with minor adaptation/modification. e.g. 112V. It is not available as an off the shelf prepackaged retail GraphTech accessory item. To buy one as either a replacement or upgrade for a Pacifica, they have to be sourced either through Yamaha as a Yamaha part number or direct request to GraphTech for the Pacifica specific part number who will sell you one. They aren't inventory listed on GraphTech's website nor advertised as a GraphTech nut accessory. That 'hands on experience and first hand familiarity with the instrument' and GraphTech nut information won't be found on any spec. sheet. More than happy to answer from my experience how I know that ....if asked.[br][br]Re your Slinkys. If you're happy with the feel of the .10s, just play them until they die (tonally), unless you want to fit the EXL .9s for a superior playing experience on [u]that[/u] guitar. Slinkys are a nice enough string to play, but they just don't last as long in terms of maintaining tone, to reiterate what I wrote previously, and elsewhere at an earlier time. This is subjective to individual expectation of course, but I'm far from alone in my perspective of [u]that aspect[/u] of Slinkys as a persual of posts #20, 21 (mine) & 22 which can be read here affirm.[br][br]Finally, congratulations on your new instrument. It will serve you well for many years. As you can see, I'm a fan. The 612VII is a superbly appointed and engineered versatile instrument which is a pleasure to play, especially for those with smaller hands. It punches way above its price point 'weight' class in every respect.[br][br]

Here are a couple of superb examples demonstrating its playability. Jack swaps out the pickups in his 612Vs for either EMGs in this instance with the PAC612VIIX, or MAMAS here in the preceding model PAC612VII, but that's just his personal preference. The Seymour Duncan Custom 5 TB-14 fitted OOTB to the entire 61X series characteristically has scooped mids which tends to polarize many players into 'love it or hate it' camps.[br][br]Cheers.

I'm apprerciating all the advice I'm recieving in the forrum, I'll install the 9's when they arrrrive and when I get a betterr feel forr playing and morer experiance I can then make a judgement call on 10's orr whatever. As a beginner I think play it as intended and then see what I do but I do love it when a simple chorrd change comes togetherr orr a basic melody plays out afterr many many attempts. At the "Ode to Joy" 2 strings atm and next lesson is adding two more and I'm loving it.

# 1
cheaviag
cheaviag
11/12/2021 6:57 pm

I tried adding a photo, but it kept coming up as an error. But it's the Teal Green one and IMHO, wonderful :)

Spending at least an hour a day practicing in 30 minute blocks and I don't move on in the lessons until i can play along without a mistake. Every lesson I do finger exercises, check the tune, do the 5 chords I've learnt so far, play Ode to joy and then do my G major scale (which is getting better with more notes and less "twangs"). When i can do all that accurately then I'll do the next lesson.. god help me when I have to use all 6 strings lol but I'm so looking fwd to that day.

Swapped out the strings back to 9"s as well.

Loving this course !

# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
11/12/2021 7:09 pm

Sounds like you are excited! That enthusiasm will take you a long way.

PS, just curious, what bike is in your pic, looks like a gixxer?

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3
manXcat
manXcat
11/12/2021 7:17 pm

This one? PAC612VIIXTGM (Teal Green Metallic)

Very nice.

# 4
cheaviag
cheaviag
11/14/2021 3:54 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcat

This one? PAC612VIIXTGM (Teal Green Metallic)

Very nice.

Thats the one

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.