View post (Always retuning...)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
11/09/2021 8:00 pm

Certainly as recently as product produced through 2019, Yamaha OEM fitment to their PAC612VII and indeed the entire Pacifica range were (still are? -read the last paragraph below) D'Addario EXL .9s.[br][br]That said, there has recently (2021) been a 612V model change from suffix FM to X to the PAC612VII. AFAICT it denotes only a change to the available range of colours to facilitate production and reduce current supply problems. i.e. Solids can be completely electrostatic spray booth paint finished vs the former translucent FMs which require skilled labour hand finishing prone to higher QC fails.

The PAC612V's GraphTech nut is cut to accomodate .9's. Having fitted and tried .10s on my Pacificas over the years, I can affirm they play best with .9s fitted for a multitude of reasons I shalln't elaborate upon here. For reference, I own and play four Pacificas inluding a 612VII FM. [br][br]Re Ernie Ball Slinkys. They are good strings, but [u]characteristically[/u] won't last as long as the D'Addarios [u]before losing their tone[/u] IMPE. D'Addario EXL .9s do work very well on the Pacifica, and have great tone and feel. They suit the instrument well. [br][br]Yamaha currently fit Elixir .10s as OEM to their entire Revstar range. I haven't bought a new Pacifica since 2019, so the OEM may have since changed to Elixir for the suffix X 612V Pacificas as well, although they would still be 9-42s.[br][br]Hope that is of use.