View post (Always retuning...)

View thread

cheaviag
cheaviag
11/09/2021 6:08 pm
Originally Posted by: cheaviag
Originally Posted by: DraconusJLM

Some retuning is normal whenever you pick up a guitar. It shouldn't be major retuning, though.

As for changing strings, I'd recommend doing that on any shop bought or second-hand guitar. I would also recommend that you learn to do this yourself instead of paying to have it done

Thanks for that and its something I'm going to do, I simply don't know how old the strings are and how long they've been under tension.. and of course the quality of the strings that the manufacturer uses. I have a set of Ernie Ball Slinky's custom gauge nickel wound 10 - 46 strings.. I'm hoping they're good quality.

Well I changed the strings and heres what I found:

1) easier to play

2) better tonal quality throughout - I can now hear the difference between simple G and simple G7 (which I couldn't hear before)

3) clearer more responsive sound - the number 6 E string always "chattered" before which is doesn't do now despite being in tune

4) they feel "smoother" on the fingers and I don't know if thats just perceived or actual

and it was quite easy to do, and for what a packet of strings cost it was well worth it, as who knows how long my guitar had been sitting around in the shop hanging on the wall. Direct from the factory is probably a different story but the feel and "playability" has changed since I swapped them out. And for a ham fisted club fingered 2 week "guitarist" to feel speaks volumes for my particular case.