View post (Scales Book)

View thread

justcallmejerry
justcallmejerry
11/08/2021 3:02 am
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel
Originally Posted by: justcallmejerry

I'm looking for a good book on Scales to have as a good resource. Any suggestions?[/quote]

What is your skill level? What are your musical goals?

[quote=justcallmejerry]I found this one:

The Guitarist's Scale Book: Over 400 Guitar Scales & Modes

That's a pretty heavy duty book! But it's virtually impossible to say if you will benefit from it without knowing more about your situation. Are you a beginner? Intermediate? Can you already play a wide variety of scale & want more to work on? Do you want to know scales to play blues? Rock? Country? Jazz?

Have you worked through any of the GT tutorials on scales & modes? I have a ton of tutorials on those topics in my directory. Scroll down to see sections on major & minor scales from beginner through intermediate & advanced. Also sections on how to use scales to improvise in wide variety of musical situations. Also sections on modes!

https://www.guitartricks.com/instructor.php?input=155014

Hope that helps!

I haven't played in over 30+ years, so I'm pretty much starting over (although, as I go through the lessons things are starting to come back) . I'm currently going through Fundamentals 2. A guitarist friend of mine said I needed to know at least all the Major and Minor scales. I was just looking for a book to have at home as a reference. I like a variety of music that I would like to play, from Blues to Rock, but my preference is more along the lines of Metallica.

Thanks!