View post (Scales Book)

View thread

DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
11/06/2021 1:49 pm

There aren't actually 400 scales and modes in Western Music. The number of scales is debatable (is there actually a natural minor scale, or is it simply one of seven modes?). There will be countless patterns for playing scales on a guitar, and most patterns can also be applied to different keys without running out of frets on the neck, so this book is more a catalogue of patterns.

I have a copy. It's pretty good, but could confuse anyone who isn't familiar with the theory behind it all, as some of the patterns are different to the ones you'll often find on here or other resources. On the plus side, it's pretty inexpensive.

I'd suggest you learn the theory of scales, then you would have a far better idea of what sort of book you need; or even discover you don't need a book because once you know the notes on the fretboard, and the theory of what notes make up which scale or mode, then you can pretty much figure out what pattern you want to use depending on the timbre or which area of the neck is most convenient at the time.

There are a lot of lessons on here covering scales. Just do a quick search on lessons by tutor, Christopher Schlegel would be the man, and he's even provided a convenient link to his lessons.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......