Note Duration in 34

Mr. Yo
Mr. Yo
10/26/2021 5:24 am

So I just finished the beginner intro in reading music. McCormick explained various things about note duration in 4/4 timing. I was wondering how this translates to 3/4 timing, especially half notes. In 4/4 timing a half note is half the duration of the whole beat, so 2 beats. Is the duration of a half note in 3/4 timing 1.5 beats, or still just 2 beats (and you can't have 2 halve notes in one 3/4 bar)? I hope someone can clarify this! Thanks in advance.

# 1
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
10/26/2021 9:06 am

A half note is still two beats.

A dotted half note is half as long again, so would be three beats.

The duration of the notes remains constant regardless of the time signature.

What often causes confusion is using the US names for the notes. I'm a Brit and learnt to read music in school using entirely different names for them. I think the worst example has to be "there are three quarter notes in one bar in 3/4 time signature"..... Use of the US names for notes is becoming pretty standard, though.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/26/2021 11:03 am
Originally Posted by: DraconusJLM

The duration of the notes remains constant regardless of the time signature.[/quote]

Thanks for replying!

[quote=DraconusJLM]What often causes confusion is using the US names for the notes. I'm a Brit and learnt to read music in school using entirely different names for them.

The British version does have the advantage of avoiding any possible confusion by using different terms.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
10/26/2021 11:58 am
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

The duration of the notes remains constant regardless of the time signature.

[p]Thanks for replying!

Any time.

One of the things I like most about this forum is that it's all about helping each other (although the odd thread sometimes goes south when posters overlook the fact that there is often no absolute answer, but only opinions or options).

I'm just glad I never have to describe playing anything with a lot of demisemiquavers.....

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 4
Mr. Yo
Mr. Yo
10/27/2021 7:23 am

Thanks for the reactions! The example of ""there are three quarter notes in one bar in 3/4 time signature" really underlines my confusion with the American naming! Interesting to see the british version as well, makes kinda more sense to me..

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/27/2021 11:09 am

One of the things I like most about this forum is that it's all about helping each other[/quote]

Agreed. We try to keep it as focused & helpful as possible.

[quote=DraconusJLM]

I'm just glad I never have to describe playing anything with a lot of demisemiquavers.....

Haha! :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/27/2021 11:09 am
Originally Posted by: Mr. Yo

Thanks for the reactions! The example of ""there are three quarter notes in one bar in 3/4 time signature" really underlines my confusion with the American naming! Interesting to see the british version as well, makes kinda more sense to me..

Glad the replies helped!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.