View post (How do I deal with left hand fingertip pain?)

View thread

Benjamin Tan
Benjamin Tan
10/28/2021 10:57 am
Originally Posted by: DraconusJLM

One of the main causes of the usual beginner fingertip pain being worse than it has to be is pressing much harder than you need to.

Experiment a little to see exactly how much pressure you need to apply in order to get the note to sound. Pressing any harder is just wasting energy. Also make sure your fingers are just behind the fret, which also allows you to get away with applying less pressure whilst still getting a good tone.

Someone suggested to play only left hand, I tried it and realized I used much more force than I needed to. It was much easier after I was aware of that.

However, I realized that for chords like A(the one where u need 3 fingers on 2nd fret) will need two of my fingers to press harder than usual due to them being further away from the steel bar. When that happens, those finger will hurt. The longer I play that chord, a 'dent' will form from the fingertip flesh being pushed inward. The deeper the dent, the more painful my finger will feel. Those fingers need to use more strength to get a clear sound.

How do I deal with this?