View post (How do I deal with left hand fingertip pain?)

View thread

Benjamin Tan
Benjamin Tan
10/28/2021 10:55 am
Originally Posted by: hemalmehta0223

I had similar problems too when I was a begineer. I applied a lot of pressure on my left hand fingers when my both hands were engaged. I guess this happens because our brain is not used to that kind of multi-tasking. It needs training. The way I was able to fix that was by only practicing my fretting left hand enough prior to putting both hands together. I am not sure if it was only me, but things were completely different when only putting my left hand at work.

Man I tried that and I realized I need to use a lot lesser strength on my left hand. After doing only left hand like you said, adding right hand into the play while still maintaining a relaxed left hand is much easier. Thanks.

However, I realized that for chords like A(the one where u need 3 fingers on 2nd fret) will need two of my fingers to press harder than usual due to them being further away from the steel bar. When that happens, those finger will hurt. The longer I play that chord, a 'dent' will form from the fingertip flesh being pushed inward. The deeper the dent, the more painful my finger will feel.