View post (Mike from Carshalton, near London)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
10/25/2021 4:27 pm
Originally Posted by: michael_streets

I now realize that by not learning properly I effectively plateaued and was playing the same old same old until i got sick of it.

Yep, right there. When players say they've hit a rut, that usually means that they haven't spread their skill set out. Even the Edge plays lots of style. I remember watch the Going to Get Loud thing with Page and Jack White and loved hearing some of the breif riffing the Edge did. Great guitar players have skill beyond their main thing.

Once you start opening up that floodgate of other styles, it gets exciting again.

Honestly, I moved to Georgia a couple of years ago and (even before moving) starting digging bluegrass a bit. Now that I'm down here, I can see bluegrass artists pretty often. Actually, five minutes from my house, is a local secret that has bluegrass every Saturday evening. I can tell you this; I've seen a million really good rock players and a really good rock player is about equal to an average bluegrass player. I long thought that I can play pretty well. Then I watch these guys on Saturdays and, well...........

Anyway, spread your guitar player wings and have fun with it.